27 Frames

At around $450 each are they worth it?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. At around $450 each are they worth it?

• Yes! It would be worth it. build them ASAP!
    • NO! the price is to high. Build something else that we can use like cocking knobs, selectors and milled ejectors.

I'm with PK on this, do not muck with the mag catch hole location, let people buy or modify the mag catch to take FA mags or use their existing SA mags. Otherwise we have a third and propretary lock work $more money$ and I'll bet most owners have either gone one way or another on the magazine mod.

DO add the rocker piviot hole, wether it's marked lock/unlock, Automatic/Semi Automatic, Full Auto/Single, or best yet offer all three variations with the parts needed to make it work so we can either put the %#^&*@! third hand in a drawer as a future colectable or put the third hand in its propper place (the trash can).

Can we pre order yet?

BB

Bisley45@hotmail.com

Bisely, there is no problem with the Magazine Catch. Nor, will any modifications be needed to any '21/28 Catch to install in this Frame. And as mentioned above, this Trigger Housing will hang one tenth lower. Simply put, NO MODIFICATIONS WILL BE NEEDED TO THE MAGAZINE CATCH for this frame to accept UNMODIFIED TSMG MAGAZINES. The design of this Frame has all been worked out. It will be a great success! Yes, a Bolt Lock feature will be available as an option for those folks who want one.

I seriously doubt things would look right with everything moved .1000" what about the people with SA TSMG mags, then they couldn't use them. Damon already offers modified mag catches. It seems to me MUCH more sensable to keep everything identical, that way if you have a large stock of modifed SA mags you can buy the frame and use the unmodifed catch, or buy the modified catch seperate or as part of a package deal.

how could you move everything .1000" of an inch, if you moved all the holes down the sear and disconector would have to be built up to engage the bolt. I could see moving the magazine catch down .1000" so an unmodified GI catch could be used but that would block off some of the space in the trigger guard. I find that a bad idea, so would anyone else with normal or large fingers. I'm not mutton handed but I like space around the trigger so I can wear gloves and not get my fingers bound or pinched.

BB

Bisley45@hotmail.com

Bisely, I don't follow you. Indeed, many people modify the Magazine Catch to use unmodified Mags. This new Trigger Housing solves many problems, without creating new ones. For those who have Magazines that were modified for the stock '27 Frame, those could be fixed if their owners wanted them fixed. The appearance of the Frame will be very nice. Bisely, just hang on, you shall see the finished product. Edited by LIONHART

Take pre-orders then decide... How many would you have to produce to get this price? I'm converting to f/a on mine, and if I don't have to buy a whole 999 buck gun to butcher, that would be fine by me....

Lionheart

"6) What do I mean by "Hang Lower"? Simple. When WH designed the Semi-Auto Thomspon, the Receivers were reduced in height by one-tenth inch. They did this to eliminate persons from installing FA Bolts, ect. By doing this, the Trigger Housings (Frames) mounts one-tenth higher on the SA Receivers. This has caused Drum fitting problems, and Magazines must be modified in order to compensate for the height reduction. NOW, Damons' Frames will be made to hang one-tenth inch lower. This will solve the problems of fitting Drums/Magazines, plus creating that proper Thompson SMG look that were all fond of. The original one-tenth height reduction on the SA Receivers are quite noticable. If one has a '27 next to an original '21/28 one could easily tell a big difference. With these new Frames, the original look of the TSMG Receiver/Frame for YOUR '27 will be intact. Even using a modified '28 Frame one still has to modify Magazines, or modify the Magazine Catch since there still is a height problem."

I'm not following you. I know the recever is .1000" shorter, how are you going to make that up with a trigger frame without moving the pin holes. I don't get how you can move the whole thing as you have to keep the sear in contact with the bolt. If you move the mag catch location down .1000" you can use an unmodifed magazine catch but if you move the rest of the holes down you have a .1000" gap between the leg of the firing pin and the sear and the disconector. Maybe you need to draw me a picture. How can you make the outside hang lower and not screw up the interworking geometry /or/ have the trigger stuck .1000" higher in it's opening.

I loved the idea until the .1000" was mentioned and using the unmodifed mag catch. Then I got LOST and BEFUDDLED.

BB

Bisley45@hotmail.com

Bisley, your just going to have to wait! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif NO information will be provided on the specific working details of the new Trigger Housings at this time. Edited by LIONHART

OK, I'll wait hopefully not too long. sent you a couple of E-mails. still lost and befuddled how you can make up that .1000" without changing hole locations or making new internal parts.

BB

If I had the 1927 model I most definitely would like to have a lower frame that matched the gun. Since I have the M1 version it is not a problem. If you manufacture them I believe they will sell. One thing I was wondering about, if the new frame would allow the removable stock would it fall under the idiotic AWB's ban on that type of collapsible / removable stock, or am I just thinking too much? I have seen the nonsence about the pre-ban / post-ban receiver manufacture time. I did not know if it fell under the same or similar category.

Scott

This issue was raised before. In Doug Richardson's Semi Thompson book, he prints an ATF letter that states detachable stocks are not classed as folding or collapsible stocks. When I filled out the SBR application for my Khar, I wrote the words, "detachable stock," as part of the description. it was approved without a hitch. For these two reasons, I personally feel confident that this is not an AWB concern.

Just wondering:

When a detachable stock is detached from a standard 16 1/2" barrel 27A1 does the overall firearm length become less than 26"?

If so, I think I could own the gun but I would have to register the gun as a pistol according to my local rules.

Thanks to those who know.

The straight-forward frame swap does seem like a simple, clean way to provide a more portable and realistic product.

When I measured it was 31" from the tip on the back end to the front of the Cutts on my WH. Maybe that is why the BATF can't throw a fit about detachable butstocks on the SA thompsons.

BB

How about this: You do not move all of the holes. You just make a differnt length mag release with the hole in front of the frame located .100 lower. Still arches over the trigger housing the same way it just contines down a little farther and you can leave the notch for the drums in the same spot. OR you can look at it like this: if you cut the trigger group in half longitudinalyin the front cut just above the hole for the mag release. in the back half cut in between the trigger guard opening and the fire control holes. Add you .100 inch in along these lines. Viola! Fire control stays where it should and the mag release move .100 away from the reciever. You can use ummodified mags and the gun looks over all 'taller'. Only problem see is the trigger will be .100 farther up in the guard. Or you make new triggers but this will increase the radius of the triger arc and inclease lenghth of trigger pull. If this doen;t make any sense email and I will send you a photo of what I am talking about

That was my original thought just move the mag catch holes down .1000" I can think of a good reason to move the trigger down, the slot cut threw the top of the trigger lets crap in the semi's and makes the trigger pull mushy. I can see this, but adding .1000" would make the trigger housing seem lop sided to me. The botom of the recever comes strait over across the bottom of the mag well. If you make the trigger frame hang .1000" lower it will look lopsided IMHO. Not sure what the plan is for this....

My thoughts were leve the mag catch location alone, that way the guys with semi mags can use the standard catch; and Damon alredy makes a lowerd catch. If he included one of those as an option in the package that would work good for the guys just starting out who have no mags, or for the old time WH owner that say has ten or so SA mags. It is not really cost effective to convert said mags back to FA, and a bitch to try and sell to get most of your money back.

just my .02 I'm excited to see how this will look. I'd like to have them ready to ship now so I can strip off my old frame and drop on a new one that utilizes a detachable butstock and has rocker piviot converted to work the bolt hold open. make using drums a lot easyer, not to mention clearing jams.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Newbie here from Missouri. I have a '27a1 that I'd like to have beautimized.

Will these custom frames be available ? I will certainly purchase one.

regards,

John

I would certainly encourage you to contact Damon over at http://www.tommygunner.com for the latest developments. I'm currently unaware of the status of those Trigger Housings, but Damon does offer conversions of standard '27A1 Frames. The best quality and pricing you won't find anywhere else.