M1a1 "bright" Bolt

I've never seen a "bright" bolt in the M1A1 configuation; the later M1 and all M1A1 bolts were blued, I believe. Others may know better.

A M1 TSMG parts kit parts kit purchased recently from Omega Weapons Systems had a really nice "bright" M1 bolt in it though. Don't know whether they would sell these by themselves.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Dec 1 2004, 11:06 AM)

Step One: Search this website and review the voluminous posts discussing bright bolts, learning that they are not plated, but are ordinary bolts which were made from high quality steel, polished, and never blued.

Step Two:  Buff and polish your existing bolt, and you have your very own bright bolt, at zero cost.

And then keep your bright bolt clean and oiled.

At the risk of opening this particular can of worms again, "bright" M1 bolts were made earlier and of different steels than the later blued bolts. They were neither plated nor polished and stood up well to the corrosive ammunition of the period. If you polish your blued bolt, and then place it next to an original "bright" bolt, you'll see that is more of a dull grey color, even after polishing. It will look duller and greyer as time goes on. Keep it oiled, or it will rust like crazy!

No exspert, but have to agree with TSMGguy. Brite bolts are made of diffrent metals. I believe they have alot of nickel in them which makes a less corrosive steel. Have seen many blued bolt corroded to hell but never seen a brite bolt that way. Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.