My Latest Thompson Accessory

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:26 PM

Cool medal - interesting as that service period represents the Cold War at its peak of cloak and dagger work - if only we knew what his service entailed, eh?

#22 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

He is deceased and I never met him. Going to do a FOIA request. I'm sure what I do get back will look like a sheet of black paper.

#23 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Lugers and good wine.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Only named SOE/OSS/CIA item I have. He lived next town over from me and was stationed in Saigon in 1970. My neighbor who was with the OSS during WWII gave me a Survival on Land and Sea manual, but he didn't write his name in it. Still, I know it.

I have just finished reading a book by a Peter Kemp, 'No Colours or Crest', who during WW2 was part of the original cadre of the first British commando unit, carrying out attacks in Norway and France. He then served with the British Special Operations Executive, SOE, mainly in the Balkans, but also in Poland in 1944. In Poland he was arrested by the Soviet NKVD and imprisoned by them for a period of time, the cold war had already begun? It is a very interesting book initially published in 1955, with lots of facts about WW2 which are missed in more recently published histories. 

He also makes plenty of references to 'Tommy guns' being used during his service. Well worth a read and I am now looking forward to reading his third book, 'Alms for Oblivion'.

This book continues with tales of his SOE service, which upon his release from the NKVD jail and short time blocked in Moscow, sees him deployed to the South Pacific in 1945. The review says that “Although initially tasked with mopping up the Japanese remnants, after the surrender, Kemp finds himself struggling to bring order to the chaos as anti-colonial sentiment surges, first in French Indochina and then the Dutch East Indies”. Kemp eventually finds himself leading Japanese troops, with some Europeans, against local insurgents, another twist in the tale of WW2 that you don’t often hear or read about.

Edited by rpbcps, 29 October 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#24 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:45 PM

My father was in China at the end of WW2 helping to repatriate Japanese POWs and provide security against Chinese Communists insurgents. One of the stories told from that theatre is there was an attack expected from the Chicoms in an area with not enough American Marines. An idea was floated to arm Japanese POW's and put them up on the line along side the Marines. Not thrilled with the prospect of sharing foxholes with the recent enemy whose countrymen had killed a lot of Marines, an alternative plan was proposed to place the Japanese POWs with Nationalist Chinese troops instead. I didn't hear how it all ended.

#25 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3261 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:52 PM

Some really nice pictures.

Perhaps you would consider reposting in the photography forum.

Jim C

#26 Kilroy

Kilroy

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:History - specially World War II, Shooting

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:31 PM

Wow, very nice. A V42 has been on my wants and desires list for a while. I’ve seen a couple for sale at prices that are rivaling some M2 carbine machine guns. I can’t justify the price at that. I hope one day I get lucky. I just picked up an OSS stiletto. My secondary collecting habit is combat knives. 

#27 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:19 PM

I have a WW2 US and German fighting knife, but an original honest to goodness British fighting knive has always escaped me. Not collecting anymore, but a friend who was clearing out a friend's estate gave me this. 1976 NATO marked. And it matches my contemporary DPM jacket. One of my favorite years.

Attached Files

#28 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:47 PM

Speaking of contemporary...and commandos...met these two gents late 1980's/early 1990's and they were kind enough to sign a poster which stayed in my office until I retired. Now it adorns my home pub.

Attached Files

#29 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:40 AM

Jim C - I probably should have posted in the photograhy section - TBH I wasn't familiar with that section.

Kilroy - The OSS stiletto is a nice one, with spatula scabbard, a worthy piece for any collection - just be careful of that point it is fragile.

Waffen und Bier - My personal preference is for wartime (WWII) FS - but the NATO marked knives are becoming collectable in their own right now. 

Great signed photo from the Iranian Embassy Siege, that's history there. 

#30 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3261 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

pitfighter,

Its not to late.

Jim C

#31 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Lugers and good wine.

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:35 AM

Speaking of contemporary...and commandos...met these two gents late 1980's/early 1990's and they were kind enough to sign a poster which stayed in my office until I retired. Now it adorns my home pub.

Between 1999 and 2001, I had the pleasure of working on the Haliburton security team in Algiers, during a period of high Islamic insurgency in Algeria and was one of two guys on that team, who were not SAS veterans. One of the team leaders participated in Operation Nimrod and he told us lot of tales, off the record, about that operation over the years, great guys and intersting times.

In 2000, while working on that team, we were also responsible to the security of your former Vice President Dick Cheney, during a visit to Algiers, when he was still the CEO of Halliburton. That was just prior to the announcement that he was running with George W. Bush, as Vice President.

Edited by rpbcps, 31 October 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#32 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Picked this up at a local militaria show this past weekend. It will display nicely with my SMLE, STEn and Thompson and soon a couple of 1940 Matchless bikes....and maybe someday a jeep.

Attached Files

Edited by Waffen Und Bier, 13 January 2021 - 07:43 PM.

#33 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:21 AM

WAFFEN - Nice find, great piece of history - has that LRDG vibe going. 

I had a '43 jeep that had been converted to LRDG style, loved it. 

8uZC8nzl.jpg

#34 2ndArmored

2ndArmored

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:33 AM

8uZC8nzl.jpg

Daaaaaaad!!!!! We were playing hopscotch!!!!!

#35 wv1928

wv1928

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's and all other guns especially full auto's.

Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:43 PM

WOW !  AGREAT COLLECTION YOU HAVE.  THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH US.

#36 Player_To_Be_Named

Player_To_Be_Named

• Board Benefactor
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:59 AM

LOVE it - I have an Operation Nimrod poster too - but not signed by Phil Singleton:)

#37 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Daaaaaaad!!!!! We were playing hopscotch!!!!!

You know it!!!!

#38 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

Awesome jeep. Maybe someday for me. Thanks!