22 Conversion Kits

Hi All,

Drum-roll please.

I made a 0.095" offset guide rod for the recoil spring. It aligned the spring guide with the hole in the bolt. I made the guide rod 0.3" longer to help guide the spring (there is a gap between the end of the guide rod and the bolt with the standard guide rod).

Loaded up a magazine and it ran on standard velocity 22's. Problem is it wouldn't stop! In short, it did reduce friction a bit but not enough to run standard velocity 22's in my '28-A1. The bolt would not come back far enough to catch the sear.

I had posted earlier that standard velocity in my M1 runs just fine with the same kit. I guess there is a bit of friction some place else in the system. I'll keep looking.

I'm leaving the new guide rod in the 22 kit as it does align the spring with the bolt. The bolt spring hole was getting worn on the top edge. Hopefully this will not be a catastrophic improvement in the long run.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious did you try out the different length springs? I've been able to get CCI stand velocity to run, but only on one of the springs, have it labelled as I keep forgetting which one it is.

Merle told me his .22 kit springs are standard GI springs, cut to shorter lengths.

So, if you have some extra GI spares, clip away and experiment.

Edited by mnshooter

Hmm, interesting, the kit I got from Merle came with 1 longer than my '28 and 1 that was shorter. Having the three lengths has been nice to try out which one best fits which manufacturer and velocity

Just curious did you try out the different length springs? I've been able to get CCI stand velocity to run, but only on one of the springs, have it labelled as I keep forgetting which one it is.

I gave each spring a different color shot of spray paint for identification.

I have more than one of Merle's kits, and it's easy to forget which spring is in use when experimenting with various ammo.

Edited by mnshooter

Hmm, interesting, the kit I got from Merle came with 1 longer than my '28 and 1 that was shorter. Having the three lengths has been nice to try out which one best fits which manufacturer and velocity

It might be possible that your 28 spring was somewhat compressed already.

I have compared what presumably were original GI springs in several guns, some owned and untouched for over 25 years, and none were exactly the same length, varying by over an inch.

Poor planning on my part. Grabbed my 1921a and my .22 kit and went to the range last night. Went to install the kit as I have done many times on my M1A1 and realized it won't work with a 1921 style spring guide. I have a 1928 guide, bolt, and actuator ordered, so I'm back to the thing I do most since getting into NFA toys... ...waiting.

I was having some trouble with the 30 round 22 magazines being a bit loose in thr lower so i added a small piece of .006 brass shim and now they work 100 percent. It does not interfere with the 45 cal mags and actually helps keep them tighter in the slot too.

post-141-0-40613000-1488634989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roland the Thompsongunner

fter reading it seems like this .22 kit is mostly used with the M1 but will work with a 28?

If so, what is the cost of the following :

1. a plug and play .22 conversion kit for a 28 (one that doesn't require a different extractor)
  2. .50 round drum
  3. stick mag

Are there any mag loaders for either the drum or stick mag?

fter reading it seems like this .22 kit is mostly used with the M1 but will work with a 28?

If so, what is the cost of the following :

• a plug and play .22 conversion kit for a 28 (one that doesn't require a different extractor)
  • .50 round drum
  • stick mag
Are there any mag loaders for either the drum or stick mag?
Merle's kit will drop in either an M1 or 1928. Replaces bolt and has sleeve for barrel. Extractor is in the bolt assembly. Ejector is part of the barrel sleeve.

Stick and drum mags available.

For those who have not seen one of these kits

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/wwiifirearms/colt%201921a/DD0A1850-BEC5-4E5E-B7D1-D47B12F62724.jpg

It's been too long so I do not recall pricing.

Drum Doctor Merle is the man for the kits. I think he is selling them direct.

At one time they were contracted through Blackdog Machine. They still sell the 30 round polymer mags. http://blackdogmachinellc.net/thompson-22.aspx

Dan Block is the man for drums. He sells modified Bingham or Blackdog mags that work for the conversion kit.

Ron

Back in the day, PK configured and fit one of Merle's kits to my WH '28. Instead of using the plastic Blackdog magazines, Paul set the kit up to use steel Squire Bingham 30 round banana magazines. This is one of the most reliable .22lr conversions I have. It runs very clean and I can run 1000 - 1200 rounds before I need to clean anything. Plus it has a very slow ROF, unlike most other .22lr conversion kits I have ever used. My WH with the kit installed is a real crowd pleaser.

Back in the day, PK configured and fit one of Merle's kits to my WH '28. Instead of using the plastic Blackdog magazines, Paul set the kit up to use steel Squire Bingham 30 round banana magazines. This is one of the most reliable .22lr conversions I have. It runs very clean and I can run 1000 - 1200 rounds before I need to clean anything. Plus it has a very slow ROF, unlike most other .22lr conversion kits I have ever used. My WH with the kit installed is a real crowd pleaser.

Interesting. Could you post some photos of this arrangement?

Thanks

Merle's kits have always had a lower rate of fire than another apparently now out of business Florida conversation maker.

This is due to the steel plate Merle mounts to the bottom of the bolt, slowing things down to a more Thompson normal rate.

Edited by mnshooter

Thanks for the reply.

I am very curious as to the cost of each component (kit, drum, mags) and if there have been any drum/mag loaders produced.

I got mine back in early 2010, so I many not be remembering correctly, and prices may have changed. I think the kit was a little under $500, stick mags about $30 each, and drum about $150.

Maybe a dumb question - do the drums fit the M1? Do they slide in from the side or do they fit vertical?

They fit the M1. Attach like the stick mag.

• 1 year later...