What Is The Word On .22 Conversion Kits?

I have a M1 Thompson SMG. It is a lot of fun to shoot but the ammo bill adds up.

Does anyone own the .22 conversion kit that is for sale in SGN and Gunlist? I think it is Ceiner kit??

They make a 1928 model and a M1a1 and a M1.

What is the word? are they junk or worth buying?

Thanks,

Chris

This has been covered in recent threads by those who have used them-

They work for some people and they are happy.

They are not guaranteed to work with anything but "originals" taken to mean forget about getting them to work with a West Hurley Thompson. Something about the lack of consistancy of the receivers and barrels etc.

Wish it wasn't so or I would have one for sure.

Do a search to learn more.

Mark

The JAC kits are working in just about every gun they have been put into, even my WH. Sure your going to find one that isn't just right, but you find that in everything. I just don't know if I could justify plopping down $750 for a .22 kit.

Like I said 91- they work for some folks and not others

Mike,

Did you have to tweak around with your conversion or were you just fortunate?

Me, I have doubts as to my luck in this area though I have been tempted often since I am a 22 conversion geek.

For instance are you running a WH barrel or other?

Have you had the receiver trued up?

Any other modification that might have a bearing on the the conversion working for you so well?

Your answers would affect whether I take the plunge or not someday.

Mark

My WH was made in 77. It has never had anything done to it as far as receicver work. AMAFRANK had the kit. We installed it on the gun and it ran first time out. Barrel is WH. I would say we fired 2-3 thousand rounds that day. Almost emptied out my 30 cal ammo can. One day I will break down and get one myself.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 18 2006, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jan 17 2006, 08:31 PM)
... I just don't know if I could justify plopping down $750 for a .22 kit...

That really puts things into perspective. You can probably buy a mint used WH .45 semi, which works much of the time, for the cost of JAC's .22 kit which...well...it's all in the archives.

That is a good point.

Well there you go using logic- that blows the whole hobby out of the water.....hahahahahahaha

If I can't use logic then I will throw out a rationalization http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/slap.gif -

For someone who already owns F/A TSMG then

$499 would enable one to have an rather inexpensive full auto 22.

Next would be a Norrel, and then a Uzi (both at 6-7ish) with a kit, then a AM180 at 8-9K or so then an M16(??) with the other Ceiner kit.

But if all you had was one F/A Tommy then this is the way to get into the FA 22 groove.

There I talked myself into it- hahahahahahahaa http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I put JAC kit in my GI M1A1...It has done well for me. Not perfict, but I have been very satisified with it. I have alwayse used the remington golden bullet that is recommended by JAC. Its a hoot to play with and my kids love to shoot it.

Not everyone likes them but I like mine. Just my .02 ....Good luck if you decide to try one.

Walter T Woods is the name of the guy I bought mine from. He is a super nice guy and usually tries to keep several JAC kits in stock. He was very helpful to me and he knows his way around a Thompson. He is in Indiana and I have his phone number if you email me.

2Dogs......OUT

I bought my JAC M-1 kit from Tom Woods in Indiana and love it. Runs like a clock and I have shot every brand of .22 I had including the 60 grain Aguila subsonic without any problems. Be sure to run a bore snake after every 100 rounds. The last few rounds in the xxx mags were hard to load so I spinkled powdered graphite on every 5th round as I loaded and now all (3) load fine.

JAC kit worked well in an M1, at least for the first 1000rds we've put through it. Had to spray a little of the dreaded WD40 to clean things up every 300rds or so as it would fail to extract. PhilOhio is correct in that 22 ammo will foul things up quickly at a high volume of fire. I would expect about the same performance from a Ruger 10/22 at full auto firing rate. My concern is will it perform better as things "wear" in or get worse and wear out, only time and use will tell.

If you decide to purchase get it from a dealer that has one on hand (as mentioned above) or from someone you trust with your deposit. JAC will cash your money order (no checks or CC's please) immediately, then you wait, in silence, for about 5-6 months. Some have waited longer. No indication of backorder status, delivery date, can't reach him by phone. Get at least two mags with the kit, they empty really fast but it is fun and different than shooting 45acp. My only complaint (other than the high price) is with JAC's customer communincation, I hope I never need any spare parts or service.

Life is short. Banging your head against a wall isn't worth it.

And heck doing that is free so save the $500 bucks.

But here Phil goes again being logical and right on JAC.

I ujust hate it when that happens-

Ever try to replace that pot metal sear engagement area, can it be??

Mark