Colt/Marlin Potato Digger Tripods

I am getting a Marlin Potato Digger. Currently a DEWAT, but that will change. ;-) I know that the Marlin guns use a slightly different tripod than the early Colt guns. The tripods are scarce, so if anyone knows of one for sale, I would love to hear of it!

In lieu of acquiring a correct tripod, what others can be easily used with the Potato digger? Will the Digger fit in a 1917/1919 pintle? Will the cross bolt fit? Since I don't have the gun yet to measure, I don't know what I can use until I run across the correct tripod.

I might just try to figure out how to use my MG42 ground or AA tripod!

A correct tripod is the best option of course. There is no provision on the digger receiver for a T+E so if you want one on an alternate tripod you'll have to construct one appropriate to it.

Colt and Marlin cradles fit their respective guns in regard to feedway height and location so are not completely interchangeable. Colt gun, with the feedway on the side will function on the Marlin cradle fine, but the Marlin feeds from the bottom so will not feed mounted in the Colt tripod as the Colt mount has higher feed ramp. So, you will need a Marlin cradle and tripod. They are selling in the $3-4K range when they show up, at least the low ones. The high ones will bring a lot more.

Browning pintle bolts are slightly smaller in OD than the cross bolt on the digger tripods. Digger receiver is about 5/16" narrower than the ID of a BMG pintle so distance pieces or spacers would be useful.

Remember that the actuating arm needs room at the front of any tripod to move though about a 170 degree arc and at least ten inches below the receiver.

Marlins are really best on a high tripod due to having to reach forward to cock the arm and other motions needed to run it and clear it.

FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

• 4 months later...
Guest Doughboy
Hi guys I'm new here but I think this is a place I need to put them I just found two complete 1917 Marlins I've turned in and surrenderwd receivers and I have tripods and full guns I also have 2 Lewis Savage made 1917 Navy models - no receivers all parts they were found in a 100 year old veterans Hall behind the wall underneath the stage and a one and a half foot crawl space just found them 3 days ago please contact me. They are beautiful. They are for sale. Would post photos but can't see how Edited by Doughboy

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...