Good Loads

I have my Thompson transfer in the works (pending)and want to do some loading and want to know what works best. I used to use 5 grains of Hercules Unique with a 230 grain hardball but it is dirty and that was 17 years ago. I am sure someone has worked up a better and cleaner load by now. Any advice. I bought 2000 rounds of new Winchester ball ammo to get started, that should last the first weekend between the reaquired Thompson and the Mac 10 that has been taking up space in the safe. I would appreciate your input.

230 gr bullets and Clays powder. Forget the amount but just a grain or two about the minimum works great.

When reloading pistol calibers, I will generally start at the minimum and load about 100 rounds of a given powder amount.

Increment .5 and do another 100 rounds, increment .5 and do another 100 rounds until .3 or .4 under the max load.

Depending on feed problems, you may find you have to play a bit with the overall length of the round.

Good luck and let us know the results.

I use 230 gr FMJ over 4.0 to 4.2 gr of Bullseye and Winchester WLP primers.

I used to use WIN 231, but IMHO, it was pretty smoky and left a lot of unburnt/half-burnt power to gum up the feed ramp, bolt, and the inside of the receiver. FWIW, I've also tried Federal large pistol primers, but, to me, they seemed too soft.