eFile form 4's ATF

Rekraps

In the course of discussions with my local FFL, I learned (and have since seen several videos on this topic) that beginning on or about December 18th, the ATF will launch eFile form 4's with the goal of shortening transfer time between non-dealers (individuals) of NFA items to 30 days or less by 2023. From what I have learned, the goal for 2022 approval times is 60 days or less!

I have two items that I have bought that I've instructed the local FFL to hold off on submitting paper Form 4's until the eFile goes live. I may actually get these items approved before some of my other stuff submitted several months ago!

Any hear similar?

If it's like the eForm 1 it'll be a fillable .PDF file which you can save a copy of and which you can print.

Basically the same as the .PDF you now download and fill out it's just that BATFE will now have the ability to accept it in electronic format rather than needing hard copy. No idea how the fingerprint part of it will work but I'd guess not very well at first

Regarding fingerprints, I understand that the submission will be via kiosk type electronic files, just like SilencerCo uses with their kiosks. Once entered and accepted, then the fingerprints are "good" and can be used as long as the ATF allows. I know they require periodic picture updates, but not sure on how often the fingerprints are updated. Heck, I thought fingerprints were forever.....

View as a webpage / Share

Upcoming ATF eForms Technology Upgrade

DECEMBER 17-21

seal-ltblue_original.png ltbl_original.jpg

This is an advance notice to current eForms users about the upcoming launch of a new version of ATF eForms.

The goal of this “modernized eForms” is to provide ATF with an infusion of technology to provide better services to our industry members and the public. This much needed modernization will reduce the effort and time required to review and process ATF applications by incorporating online validations and other enhancements.

No action is needed at this time. However, there are some required steps you'll need to complete after the upgrade is finished (details below).

Outage period

In order to facilitate this upgrade, eForms will be offline during the following time frame:

Upgrade Start: Friday, December 17 at 9 p.m.

Tentative Finish: Tuesday, December 21 at 6 a.m.

You can continue to use the existing eForms until the upgrade starts at 9 p.m. next Friday. During the upgrade time frame, however, eForms will be unavailable.

What you need to know

The web address of eForms is not changing. If you have bookmarked eForms in your browser, it will automatically access the new eForms.

Your eForms User ID is not changing. All your previous submissions will transfer to the new system.

Required steps after upgrade

We're updating the eForms login process to provide enhanced security and establish a trusted relationship between the user and ATF. Here's what you'll need to do after Dec. 21:

1. After the upgrade, you'll need to manually reset your password before you can log in for the first time.
  2. Once you log in with your new password, the system will ask you to update your user profile information and create a security PIN.

Please review our step-by-step guide with screenshots, but do not complete these steps until the upgrade is complete on Dec. 21:

Existing Users - First Time Login Steps (docx, 1.75 MB)

New Users - First Time Login Steps (docx, 1.33 MB)

What to expect

Once the upgrade is finished, you may notice a few changes in the eForms interface. Here's what to expect:

• ATF eForm 4 is coming back. After the upgrade, you will be able to submit the ATF Form 4 electronically through eForms.
  • Electronic submission of ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10 and 5300.11 with the required electronic documents.
  • Electronic submission of fingerprint cards for ATF Form 4. You will be able to attach your “digital fingerprint cards” to your submission.
  • Support for larger file attachments. The updated eForms will accept electronic documents up to 30 MB in size.
  • Enhanced validations to ensure that the upfront validations of your data occur prior to submission.
  • User PIN for validating the submission of all forms as part of the submission process.
  • Self-service support for forgotten passwords and PINs.
  • Rules of behavior that must be accepted to proceed with the use of eForms.
  • “Ask the Expert” to send your questions to our subject matter experts.
  • Use of smarter technology to improve customer service and build a foundation for future enhancements such as an Application Programming Interface (API) and Captcha.

Contact us

In our efforts to provide you continuous support through this transition, we have created five temporary email mailboxes to help us assist you:

It is our goal to have ATF personnel monitor these mailboxes to assist you with a response within 3 business days.

Resources Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives 99 New York Avenue NE

Washington, DC 20226

www.atf.gov

social-02_original.pngsocial-03_original.pngsocial-01_original.pngsocial-04_original.png SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:

Manage Subscriptions | Unsubscribe All | Help

blue-divide_original.png

Signatures will be electronic.

The seller fills out hid half, "signs" it and sends it electronically to the buyer who does the same and forwards it. Both IP addresses are captured in the process. If your security system uses a proxy and it routes you through a server in Belorussia, there might be a problem

Regarding fingerprints, I understand that the submission will be via kiosk type electronic files, just like SilencerCo uses with their kiosks. Once entered and accepted, then the fingerprints are "good" and can be used as long as the ATF allows. I know they require periodic picture updates, but not sure on how often the fingerprints are updated. Heck, I thought fingerprints were forever.....

My understanding is the reason fingerprints are required for every paper submission is it serves to ID a person not in front of you. Fingerprints are unique to each individual, even identical twins have differing fingerprints but identical DNA.

It is harder to get good impressions on older people especially diabetics. A set of fingerprints taken previously may actually be better than a "newer" set.

My initial question to BATF:

What effect, if any, will the adoption of eForms have on the approval times for previously submitted hard copy Form 4s

Their non-responsive reply:

All paper applications pending will continue to be worked in the order they were received.

My follow-up question:

Thank you for the reply but it really doesn't answer the question. My fear is this: Once the eForm4 goes on line the NFA Branch will devote a significant portion of its admittedly limited resources to debugging what is essentially a Beta version of the software and to expediting the e-filed transfer applications in order to demonstrate the efficacy of the new process. This will necessarily remove resources from the processing of previously filed paper Forms and will in all probability increase their approval times to possibly a year or more. Does the NFA Branch have a plan and resources in place to prevent this from happening?

They have not responded

They don’t know so any answer will only be speculating. “I don’t know” doesn’t work well in gov - see COVID-19 pandemic. Examiners don’t work on computers so they won’t be reassigned to system repairs. If it settles down and there can be a routine established a % of examiners will be assigned to e-forms with the remainder on paper and that will change with the trends.

A similar example is with NICS. In 2014 they had three call centers and roughly 50% of dealers used e-check. As more FFLs opted for e-check, staffing @ call centers was reduced. Now there is one left as approximately 90% of FFLs use e-check.

Both the buyer and seller need to sign. Plus seller needs to send fingerprints. Wonder how 2 parties will work on one form.

What about sending a copy to cleo

Seriously? And you're now an SOT?

No, that's not how it works.

I got the same email today. I'll be filing some more stuff in January so by then the bugs might be worked out? There's also a gun jesus video out saying the NFATCA helped beta test it?

There Huggy is in there again showing his ignorance and confusing those that are not informed.

How the heck did ATF ever give this guy an 07 and a SOT?

As long as you pay the fee and meet the requirements, i.e. not prohibited from possessing a firearm you can get the license.

If you are like me, you read the rule book before getting a license, then learned after you got the license from older guys with a license that were knowledgeable.

I'm usually unbias to huggytree... But wow. That is bad info.

Well back on topic..

The whole eForm thing I'm wondering where can my customer go to get the EFT file for their fingerprints. People who have Silencer Shop kiosks can rejoice that it can produce it. It's not worth it for me to get their machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to get feedback from the early adopters of the new efile process and just as you guys predicted, there are, shall we say, issues. I have four items in jail using the old paper submission method, and two (soon to be three) items that I will be using the new efile process. What I have been told, is that sponsor FFL's (for us that are not SOT) have yet to get a single submission through due to system compatibility issues. So, I have been asked to wait, and that by doing so, and even with the delay in getting the systems fixed, the turnaround time will still be substantially less than had I elected (which apparently one can still do) to use the old paper submission.

That's all I know folks!

Just set up my registration with the ATF (requested to do so by silencer shop), all went well and it was easy. Make sure you write down ALL the information...

Write down the information? Why would you need to do that?