Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1155 posts
  • Interests:Submachinegun NFA collecting
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:41 PM

This M2 has been purchased by the dealer who asked me to post the photos.  He intends to keep the final sale price private.  I will send the sold info input to Sig so he can record the price, but divorce it from the SN.

I hope this thread continues so we can learn more about this gun.  I got very good questions today about different parts, aspects etc.  One was were M2 stocks marked with the circle P and the armory logo?  

#22 JimB

JimB

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Some dealers stamped a 2 over the 1 when registering a receiver.

This is how M2 IBM, Underwoods  ect. ,came to exist.

If the gun above is a Inland factory M2 it will be in the 6 to 7 million range.

Jim C

Not all overstamps are the product of the civilian market

My understanding is that many were done post WWII in refurbish

An associate has one his grandfather Amnesty registered in 68'

Grandad was a USMC officer in Korea, allegedly his personal rifle and an overstamp on a Winchester receiver

Frankly I roll my eyes at any discussion of correct guns when it comes to Carbines

almost all should be mix masters

The one dubious exception were those disbursed to Canada early on

Those were all I cut stocks, flip sights, ect and were eventually sold post war to the public.  All are very early Winchesters, a bunch ended up sold back Stateside after Canuck laws changed straight up smuggled in usually by Canadian owners

There may be some of this within other Commonwealth nations but it's hard fact with the Canadians

The Brits were sent quite a few carbines as well very early, no clue what happened to the survivors

others were air dropped in Axis Europe

seem to recall the Aussies took some in as well

Anything in US stores mostly went through R&R post war where in everything ended up mixed up during the refit to the updated post war standard

correct guns are largely a fraud when it comes to carbines

#23 New2brass

New2brass

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:01 PM

Gentleman, Please understand this is coming from a carbine enthusiast point of view rather than that of an NFA guy as I am sure the points of collectability are different.

I am in no way making an attempt to disparage this carbine, I am just sharing what I see.

@JimC, please look carefully again where you got the 7270650 serial number, it is a Winchester and that range did have M1 carbines.

The serial range is not far out of line serial wise with Inland that it may have been a handstamp, however, I believe this to be a roll stamp.

If you look carefully you will note all the numbers are slightly shorter than the letters giving the appearance of being lower.

Very early in the 7M range, Inland was done with an M1 contract. Wound not make sense to keep hand stamping from a time perspective. 

The only requirement of M1 or M2 marking was for the carbines going out the door of the prime contractor. All the Winchesters were overstamped. If you think you have a Winchester that does not have the 1 please take a very good look. sometimes it is well covered by the 2. If you truly think you have a non-handstamp Winchester M2 I would love the opportunity to inspect some pictures.

The military did not use the designation on the receiver to determine what model it was. They used features alone. If it had a selector switch it was an M2. When they converted an M1 they did not overstamp a 2. 

Most m1 carbines went through a rebuild. The M2s, converted or actual, saw a lot of action after WW2 and been through many overhauls. I suspect the receiver being a true M2 adds value in the NFA world, However, it is clear that the carbine, on the whole, is not original as it left the factory.

It does have correct USGI parts for Inland M2s with the trigger housing, and selector.

The U round bolt with a hole in the bottom is a 50s USGI contract bolt for the rebuild programs. The slide is believed to be made by High Standard Arms, though it has not been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt. It would not have come out of the Inland factory.

The hammer is not USGI. The disconnector may be a foreign contract. Note the number 2 in the C. I have observed other numbers in a C on disconnectors. I have also observed the same markings on recoil plates. We know these are post-war due to a slight design dimension change. This suggests the disconnector would be from the same manufacturer and time frame.

The stock is a late war style pot belly which has a distinctive shape to it. It was made by Overton for Inland. To some like myself has somewhat of collector value. If and when I get an M2 I certainly would want that stock for mine. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the stock has been devalued as someone added embellishments to it.

My conundrum of obtaining an M2 is that if a collectible receiver and on the odd chance of finding an original I would then be hesitant to shoot it. What fun is there to that. If I obtained an original barreled receiver I could just correct it to original parts. I doubt that would add value from an NFA point of view. It might also not be the best idea as it may not be the best combination for getting the timing just right. (unless you had access to many correct parts).

I once passed on a registered trigger housing because I was under the assumption that the ATF may take a dim view at some point as it is not one of the "Special" parts

Anyway my thanks to Dave for sharing this carbine with me.

#24 Sandman1957

Sandman1957

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1155 posts
  • Interests:Submachinegun NFA collecting
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for your insight.  I will share that info with the new buyer.  I am sure he will want to start the hunt for correct parts to replace the upgraded or  foreign parts.  An inland round bolt should not be too difficult to round up.  Same for the hammer and possibly the disconnector.  Send me any item you think we should change and we'll get that done.

Thanks again.

Sandman1957

#25 renovate7

renovate7

• Regular Group
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

The crossed cannon cartouche is a repro stamp, not an original

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: M2, Inland, Marked M2, registered receiver