1928 Markings

Would you be able to send pics of the vertical forend? Mine looks old. But not the same as a Colt. We're they a little different?

Yes they are different. This one is mine. It has an S stamped in the mounting bar groove just aft of the screw. It is a little hard to see.

618B7A67-9ADD-4FF4-80E2-8E8FD2562E8F.jpeg

C438CACD-B5FC-4C37-8589-50E7141EE869.jpeg

849EE67D-DEC7-4932-BF96-C6291BB430F3.jpeg

34134773-9D84-45F8-9387-B23B50D76DDC.jpeg

EEA19376-9934-4585-9571-BE4A1662FBA5.jpeg

This one has RLB and the ordnance bomb as well as GEG. Is that because it was lend lease? Note the serial number is lower.

It also has the Interarms import markings.attachicon.gif 0F97440D-0D4F-45CA-B2E2-53B6175A28B8.jpeg

The Savage Utica Plant was located within the Rochester Ordnance District of New York, the chief inspector for that district was Colonel Roy Lindsay Bowlin, hence the RLB stamp.

Previous post on the subject is in the machinegunbaords.com TSMG Reference Thread Index:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20691

Stay safe

Richard

Mohawk64,

It is definitely a slab side reproduction foregrip. It may be an older West Hurley or one of the more recent Numrich versions. Other folks like IMA also sell these slab side foreprips, so unless you have a number of examples to compare, it may be hard to determine which repro this is. Some of the modern repros have enough wood present that they can be sanded to look more like an original Colt or Savage, or to fit your hand better.

There is a nice article on vertical foregrips by Sutton Coffman in the latest TCA newsletter.

It. Has a 250,000 serial number range. It has a vertical foregrip with no sling swivel. A buttstock with a modified sling swivel

Australian-Lithgow rebuild mark A L 8 53 (I suspect those numbers MAY be a rebuild date (?) no proof just a hunch.

The 8 53 certainly fits with a typical British & Commonwealth way of marking the month and year for a FTR.

Apparently AL markings are found on Indian State Force weapons, that is weapons not belonging to the Indian Army.

Another Indian Thompson then, after we deduced a few weeks ago, that my AO 1928A1 was probably Indian.

This time though, not Indian Army, but maybe Indian Police or other agency use?