Thompson Seized By Atf

A couple of (small) pictures...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Auto-Ordnance/AZThompson.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Auto-Ordnance/AZThompson1.jpg

Comments from the experts...

So, I saw the video.

What did this guy do? Sell with out a FFL? Illegally convert? There seems to be lots of speculation in that report without explaining how a search warrant was authorized. Just having a collection of firearms shouldn't bring down the wrath of the ATF. I saw some supressors as well - those are cheap and no reason why he shouldn't have paper on those. What am I missing? He seemed to have pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns as well. Since when did that become illegal?

I love the last part of the interview:

Liberal Media: "What do you do now?"

Redneck guy next door: "Move, I guess".

Huh? Makes no sense to me after the fact....

Cases like this make me nervous. There was a similar case in Baltimore last year where a "gun nut" was raided for having a "cache of ammo and guns." The last I heard, this was legal unless there is some unwritten threshold where legal gun ownership becomes "dangerous to society." I never did find out what the legal reasons were for that case either.

The media and police seem to relish stories like this because it makes them look effiective, yet getting the real data about the actual crimes commited and procedures/laws violated is always hard to get.

Hell, I want to have 200 guns... legal of course. Does this make me a target for a BATF raid too? Just something to think about. I would love to hear that all of his stuff was legal and had paper.

Chris.

Arthur-

I did hear that comment. It wasn't clear to me if he was counterfiting money or if someone simply paid him with bogus cash and he had it in his house. However, that falls under the FBI/US Treasury department, not the ATF which I clearly saw on the vests.

Clear as mud....

Chris.

DC,

I believe the creation of the Homeland Security Department in 2002 transfered the field operations of The U.S. Treasury Department to ATF.

There was a show with David Jansen back in 1971 called "O'hara, U.S. Treasury" that was made with the cooperation of the various branches of the Department of Treasury and had Jansen as an under cover investigator pursuing IRS, Secret Service, alcohol, tobacco, counterfeiting, and NFA violations. I guess today they would have to call the show "O'hara, U.S. ATF Of Homeland Security."

As is the case with all media reporting on similar incidents, the most disturbing angle local, cable or network stations always pursue is the collective responses from "shocked" neighbors that an American citizen could keep in their own homes automatic weapons. The media never makes the distinction between legal and illegally owned NFA weapons.

I like how they have the little kid repeat "awful" after someone else says it. Just shows how far the media will go to throw it out of propertion.

Hell, I want to have 200 guns... legal of course

Yeah, me too. Just make sure your Residence isn't too BIG. Otherwise, it may be confused with being a Compound or Fortress... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Guys, when the gov't decided to shake things up after 9/11, ATF went to DOJ to join FBI, USMS, and DEA. Customs and Secret Service went to Homeland Security from Treasury. INS with Border Patrol left DOJ to DHS. You are exactly right, clear as mud.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ May 10 2005, 10:32 AM)
I know people with over 500 guns in their homes. Is that a "evil" thing?

It is to the media if that makes a good story. Does anyone recall the guy back in 1999 or 2000 that had all those guns in a storage building? I remember watching that on the news, and they said he even had rocket launchers. Of course, what they DIDN'T say was that he owned a de-milled M-20 tube (you could clearly see the demill hole in the side) and a fired LAW rocket tube. Neither of those two items were illegal at all. I'm pretty sure a child or a convicted felon can own a spent LAW rocket tube. But the media just saw something that made the news a little more "interesting."

I firmly don't believe the media has so much an agenda here, more so than they want to make the news "spicy," and playing into people's fears is the easiest way to do it. A buddy of mine at the CDC cringes every time the media talks about an "outbreak" of a disease. He says they get the report wrong EVERY time, playing on people's fears for ratings.