MP38

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Haenelistklasse

Haenelistklasse

• Regular Group
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Hello, my question is how rare are MP38 magazines? I picked one up at the Phoenix gun show during the summer. It is stamped 98E 40 with the waffenampt marks on the top of the magazine but no stamping on the bottom that is no MP38 u. 40 mark. It is the slab sided kind and is in really nice shape and the price was right ($100). I figure it makes a nice collector mag.

#2 DARIVS

DARIVS

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

That's a good price for a slab sided (type O) mag.  I have 6 Steyr slab sided "MP-38 u. 40" mags from 1940 also.  They were on sale for $100 when i bought them from BRP arms about 10 years ago.  I'd say you got a very good deal.  It is fairly rare making up about 0.1% of total MP mag production.  Here is some nice info from Claus Espeholt  to put things in to perspective: https://claus.espeho...kiv/mag40_c.pdf

Edited by DARIVS, 22 August 2019 - 07:24 PM.

#3 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2497 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

I've seen three WaA stamps on "after ribbed" mags, 387, 815, and 37. These are easily spotted by the four WaA inspection stemples on each mag, versus two on mags not so modified. Unmodified mags and later mags produced with ribs will have just two WaA stamps. I did a long post with photos on MP40 mags on these pages, but it's disappeared.

Early Steyr made mags were slab sided and were marked 660 and the year, always 40 for 1940, and always MP38u.40, at least that I've encountered. The code on their slab sided mags changed to 98E in late 1940, and changed again to kur in early 1942. 98E 42 mags are quite rare, from what I've seen. I bought three 98E 42 mags from a seller in Eastern Europe years ago. He said they were new, from an original unbroken case of them. Sure enough, they're perfect, and identical. I've never seen another 98E 42 mag in the US. I've also never found a kur coded mag dated later than 44. IMHO, Steyr made the best quality MP mags, IMHO. Others (most notably bte) can be junk that don't fit or function at all, even when otherwise in original excellent condition.       

Edited by TSMGguy, 25 August 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Rich.Urich

Rich.Urich

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Per www.mp40.nl:

MP38 Production:

The MP38 has been produced by 2 main factories. These were:

"Erma", B. Geipel, G.m.b.H., Waffenfabrik, Erfurt, Zietenstr. 54, (Production Code: 27 or AYF)

"Haenel", C.G., Waffen und Fahrrad-Fabrik, Suhl, (Production Code: 122 or FXO)

#5 Haenelistklasse

Haenelistklasse

• Regular Group
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

That's a good price for a slab sided (type O) mag.  I have 6 Steyr slab sided "MP-38 u. 40" mags from 1940 also.  They were on sale for $100 when i bought them from BRP arms about 10 years ago.  I'd say you got a very good deal.  It is fairly rare making up about 0.1% of total MP mag production.  Here is some nice info from Claus Espeholt  to put things in to perspective: https://claus.espeho...kiv/mag40_c.pdf

That was a very interesting link. Thank you very much.

#6 Haenelistklasse

Haenelistklasse

• Regular Group
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

I've seen three WaA stamps on "after ribbed" mags, 387, 815, and 37. These are easily spotted by the four WaA inspection stemples on each mag, versus two on mags not so modified. Unmodified mags and later mags produced with ribs will have just two WaA stamps. I did a long post with photos on MP40 mags on these pages, but it's disappeared.

Remember that only Erma (ayf) made the MP38. Early Steyr made mags were slab sided and were marked 660 and the year, always 40 for 1940, and always MP38u.40, at least that I've encountered. The code on their slab sided mags changed to 98E in late 1940, and changed again to kur in early 1942. 98E 42 mags are quite rare, from what I've seen. I bought three 98E 42 mags from a seller in Eastern Europe years ago. He said they were new, from an original unbroken case of them. Sure enough, they're perfect, and identical. I've never seen another 98E 42 mag in the US. I've also never found a kur coded mag dated later than 44. IMHO, Steyr made the best quality MP mags, IMHO. Others (most notably bte) can be junk that don't fit or function at all, even when otherwise in original excellent condition.       

Thanks for the info. I emailed Alex Cruiming from mp40.nl because this for sure has no other markings other than 98E 40 and a pair of waffenampts right underneath that of 815.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MP38