Thompson 1928a1 Buttstock Wanted !

Sarco lists complete 28 butstocks for $100. I can't overly recomend dealing with them do to past experiance but some times their the only game in town. Tommygunner.com has a 28 kit for aprox $255.

I'm looking to fit my 27A1 with a detacable butstock, that's the only reason I've see those.

Nice Thompsons by the way, I've never seen a sten like that what model is it? Is it a sten?

BB

QUOTE (Ron Mills @ Jan 9 2004, 08:57 PM)
Rolf:
Look up "Deerslayer" on this forum. His name is Dan, and he usually has very nice Thompson wood.
Maybe you could share with us the history of the 2 Thompsons you have. Have you had them long?

The history of the two thompson 1928A1's are that inbetween 1942-44 it was a big operation here in the mountains with gunsmugling over from the UK to Norwegian resistance and a group called Kompani-linge trained in england during war,the british and churchill was planing a atack on Norway in the middle to cut norway in two, but it was a decoy operation for the later Normandy landing,but with this operation they kept over 2-300 000 germans bussy because they tought it was an invasion coming in Norway from UK.

I have had the two guns for 2-3 years now one was found in a burnt down cabin after the war,the resistance had to burn their HQ because the germans found them in june 9th 1944.

They have a great historicall calue for me, I have not paid a cent for them either,a gift from some veterans.

there are still roumours about weapons and amo still hidding in the mountains around here but the guys who know's keep their mouths shut, also some lots with original 50 rounds drum mags also somewere in the hills.

The Sten at the bottom is a Sten Gun Mk5,at the top is an early Mp40 with some Mp38 parts,also is a colt 1911A1 in mint condition at the left corner.

Regards from Rolf Gunnar Aanes¨

Norway

sj__bergsmarsj_2003.jpg

Rolf,

Very interesting story, take good care of your Thompsons! I'm also Norwegian and I have a Savage M1928, which was not supplied to the resistance. It just so happens that today I finally got hold of an L-drum for it!

I guess that you're aware of the fact that the Thompsons were never supplied in parachute drops here, they came as personal sidearms of Linge/SOE agents sent in from the UK.

As for the decoy operation, my most recent research for my Ph.D. at the National Archives in London last October revealed that in addition to the decoy plan of 1943, there were also at least two "real" plans for an invasion of Norway. One was to be initiated if "Overlord" (Normandy June 1944) failed; the other one dealt with an invasion of Norway in case the Germans here didn't surrender along with their forces in continental Europe.

My late father was in charge of a Linge/SOE operation parachuted into Norway in December 1943, I have some of his personal guns and equipment from that period.

Regards,

Balder

QUOTE (Balder @ Jan 10 2004, 10:27 AM)
Rolf,

Very interesting story, take good care of your Thompsons! I'm also Norwegian and I have a Savage M1928, which was not supplied to the resistance. It just so happens that today I finally got hold of an L-drum for it!

I guess that you're aware of the fact that the Thompsons were never supplied in parachute drops here, they came as personal sidearms of Linge/SOE agents sent in from the UK.

As for the decoy operation, my most recent research for my Ph.D. at the National Archives in London last October revealed that in addition to the decoy plan of 1943, there were also at least two "real" plans for an invasion of Norway. One was to be initiated if "Overlord" (Normandy June 1944) failed; the other one dealt with an invasion of Norway in case the Germans here didn't surrender along with their forces in continental Europe.

My late father was in charge of a Linge/SOE operation parachuted into Norway in December 1943, I have some of his personal guns and equipment from that period.

Regards,

Balder

Well there were one or two parachute drops here, but most came in by boat from Uk with the linge guy's, about 30-50 tonns of weapons, amo,food, and other equipment.

I have 5 kongsberg colt's M1914,2 US colt's 1911A1,2 US carabines( one rockola) one sten Mk2 and the two thompsons 1928A1's from the linge group that was stationed here in Vefsn.

Rolf Gunnar Aanes

Norway

Great collection Rolf! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Congratulations, Balder, on picking up that 50 round drum! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. What, exactly, will your Ph.D be in, Balder?

Walter,

I'm working on a Ph.D. in history, narrowly focusing on WW2 incidents in a particular region of Norway. And thanks, my Thompson is now complete with the drum!

Rolf,

I still claim that Thompsons were only issued as personal sidearms to agents sent into Norway, they were never received in container drops.

..and Arthur,

Errol Flynn had no clue! But I think a weekend with Ann Sheridan would have changed anybody's mind on any subject...

Regards,

Balder

Balder,Linge, et.al.,.. as a matter of fact ,I just received a Savage 1928 today, must be the same karma.... it is a dewat,British proofed,NAC example. I plan on rewatting it and posting the pics in progress...PK has already giving me feedback,...I think it will be an interesting journey for the next few months..I`ll keep you posted.out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Linge,

I'm always really moved by stories of the Resistance in occupied Europe. Those men and women were among the bravest of the brave, and we do not honor them enough.

Is the photo of the two men a modern picture of what we would call re-enactors? Is it a real photo of two Linge members? (Looks too well preserved, and I'd think they wouldn't want to be photographed.)

Regarding the stock, another source to consider is SARCO, on the net at sarcoinc.com. I recently ordered a WWII stock from them (without the crossbolt reinforcement). It was advertised as being in "excellent to new" condition. It was not. It had a number of dings, gouges, dents, etc., so I have returned it for a refund. However, one of those stocks might match the condition of your Thompson. Sarco charges $150 US.

Please convey my regards and deepest respect to the the surviving members of the Linge.

QUOTE (Gunner @ Jan 11 2004, 11:39 AM)
Linge,

I'm always really moved by stories of the Resistance in occupied Europe. Those men and women were among the bravest of the brave, and we do not honor them enough.

Is the photo of the two men a modern picture of what we would call re-enactors? Is it a real photo of two Linge members? (Looks too well preserved, and I'd think they wouldn't want to be photographed.)

Regarding the stock, another source to consider is SARCO, on the net at sarcoinc.com. I recently ordered a WWII stock from them (without the crossbolt reinforcement). It was advertised as being in "excellent to new" condition. It was not. It had a number of dings, gouges, dents, etc., so I have returned it for a refund. However, one of those stocks might match the condition of your Thompson. Sarco charges $150 US.

Please convey my regards and deepest respect to the the surviving members of the Linge.

The picture was taken in august 2003 in the area that boats were landing weapons and equipment from england to the resistance and Company-linge in the hills, they carried the equipment from this fjord and across the mountain about 35km one way.

The uniforms and weapons are the same that was used in 1942-44.

We used the uniforms in a yearly march called SJØBERGMARSJEN to honor the men that did this during war.

A friend of mine to the left and me to the right.

I'm also running a small ww2 museum in my hometown.

Rolf Gunnar Aanes

Arthur, I don't know about Vidkun Quising spending a weekend with Ann Sheridan, just give me an hour with that delicious babe, what a hottie!

Mike Hammer http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

ann_s.jpg

Arthur you are so right, these dames today pale in comparison with the classy babes of decades past, Sheridan, Tierney, and Hayworth could outclass anything on the planet today, their style and elegance is greatly missed in todays's world. Glad I have the opportunity to share my vintage movie collection pics with all of you. Here is the gorgeous Gene Tierney

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer