Kahr Drum Advice Needed

This weekend, I finally got tired of months of looking the the two Kahr drums that wouldn't even fit onto my WH 28. Bad guide rails on both. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif So after about an hour of work last night they both fit onto the gun and I set them aside for a test run today.

Drum 1. Four failures to feed (bolt just slid over the top cartridge)

Drum 2. 6 attempts to get it to fire four rounds, at which time it completely stopped http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/banghead.gif

Here's where I need some advice. I'm pretty much looking for the path of least resistance here. Should I call Kahr, send the drums back and wait for them to either fix them or send me new ones or pay some additional coin to get them tweaked (I see that PK does this).

Sending them back makes them accountable for a bad product but what I get back may be no better. Getting them tuned by PK means a good product but extra cash (anyone know the average cost to fix one of these?).

Thanks for the advice!

duck

By the way, it's not the gun. It runs without a hitch with 20s, 30s and the 39 rd drum.

I sent my Kahr drum back 3 times due to fit /finish and feeding problems. On the last drum they sent me I was informed that if that one didn't work they would give me a refund. The last drum hasn't missed a beat and functions 100% without any tweaking. Not waving a flag here, I just got lucky I believe. Kahr did have the nerve to tell me a very very small percentage of the L drums had been returned........yeah, right !!

Send it back until you get a good one. Good Luck !

Chuck

I believe they say that about their guns too.

By the way, I had two of their drums. I finally got one of them to work perfectly. I had to carefully pry out the stops, so that it would stay in position. I never did get my other drum to work. A round intermittently jams against the drum wall, as the bolt goes forward. The stops seem to have a lot of play.

Duck,

I have a West Hurley drum that I've had for 12 years and it runs flawlessly.

I bought another one ( West Hurley ) recently and it fits the gun nicely and the last time I took it out, it only hung up once.

All of the negative comments that I've heard about Kahr on this board sent me back to GPC. ( West Hurley ) They seem to produce better L-drums. Not perfect, but better.

Dave

I recently bought a new Kahr 27A-1 deluxe w/drum. The rails on the drum would not allow the drum to lock onto the carbine. I sent the drum back to the dealer who returned it to Kahr for replacement. The new drum locked onto the carbine O.K. but I had many feed failures. Also the rear sight wouldn't stay on the gun, even with loc-tite. Also began to get some jamming even with the stick mags.

Kahr said to send it all back and they would replace it with new carbine and drum, tested to work.

My problem is that if I test fire it and it doesn't work I have to start over and I have a "used" carbine. If I sell the replacement without firing it, it will be NIB and worth much more.

My enthusiasm for a semi-auto Thimpson has just about gone. I'll probably let the FFL sell it for me when he gets the new replacement from Kahr.

Thanks for all the info folks! I think the time lost possibly sending the drums back to Kahr several times isn't worth it. A little more money is probably worth having the drums worked on and functioning correctly. I'll see if PK can do something with them.

Thanks again!

duck