Military Jump Case Value + Questions on Internals on Rebuilds

http://www.davidspiwak.com/guns/new-bridgeport-thompson-1928/

curious how much the carrying case w/ butt stock pouch is worth on this gun??(i found a example here on the forum under canvas items--looks like an exact duplicate).....is the booklet worth anything?

when the arsenals rebuilt these guns, do they often use NOS parts inside? i havent gotten pics on the internals yet, but David suggested it may have new 'looking'' parts inside......with 99% finish is it possible it was rebuilt in the 1950's and not issued? is this common?

i read something about them stamping the rear stock every time they rebuilt these guns somewhere in American Thunder 3.0....is this typical to be able to tell how many times its rebuilt?

im tossing this gun around a bit...not really what im looking for, but i am evolving and its looking like an option for a lower priced WW2 gun with a very nice finish...price seems in the fair range

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Era-US-Army-Canvas-Carry-Case-for-M1921-or-M1928-Thompson-SMG-Original-/121557154921?hash=item1c4d5efc69

one on ebay....with price so high i have to believe the one on Daivid Spiwak is a reproduction

Edited by huggytree

curious how much the carrying case w/ butt stock pouch is worth on this gun??(i found a example here on the forum under canvas items--looks like an exact duplicate).....is the booklet worth anything?

when the arsenals rebuilt these guns, do they often use NOS parts inside? i havent gotten pics on the internals yet, but David suggested it may have new 'looking'' parts inside......with 99% finish is it possible it was rebuilt in the 1950's and not issued? is this common?

i read something about them stamping the rear stock every time they rebuilt these guns somewhere in American Thunder 3.0....is this typical to be able to tell how many times its rebuilt?

im tossing this gun around a bit...not really what im looking for, but i am evolving and its looking like an option for a lower priced WW2 gun with a very nice finish...price seems in the fair range

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Era-US-Army-Canvas-Carry-Case-for-M1921-or-M1928-Thompson-SMG-Original-/121557154921?hash=item1c4d5efc69

one on ebay....with price so high i have to believe the one on Daivid Spiwak is a reproduction

That gun was discussed on a previous thread. Search for it. Even David chimmed in on the discussion. Most guys had negative thoughts on it.

Thanks.....must have forgotten about it---i know its been there a while

i couldnt find it, but did find a similar one he had in worse condition for $21k....found that thread and it also had the same jump bag with it...he must have bunch of them and include them w/ every thompson to make the picture look more pretty

Edited by huggytree

The Thompson that David currently has listed is not the same Thompson that was discussed in length a while ago, his current listing has only been up since mid January. It looks like a nice gun, but better pictures would help.

This kind of case was not used by WWII US airborne forces. TSMGs were jumped in separate containers dropped simultaneously to the men exiting the door, or in "griswold" bags on person, or simply on person tucked under the reserve parachute and belly band. The separate drop containers were the very earliest drops, and then men jumped with their weapons on person.

yes i saw that link too.....id like it to be the real deal $895 on ebay listed above.....but i suspect its way too nice to be real...its that $69 bag you found.....i dont see myself using this and would rather say keep it and -$69.95 off the gun......id never use it

....with price so high i have to believe the one on Daivid Spiwak is a reproduction

You need to see much better quality photos.

These make it look on my screen like there is no lettering on the left rear of the receiver.

The "Nice Finish" is just a low cost park dunk -anyone could do it; 70 years ago or yesterday.

Nothing wrong with Parkerizing, but it may or may not hide things you would want to know about.

As far as internals -even out the factory door it could have had a mix of manufacturers parts.

Edited by mnshooter

eBay case looks real and real overpriced IMHO. If it were an early Mills pouch this would be a more realistic price.

David's looks like a repop but need higher res photos to give a better impression. These were marketed to police and military for gun carry and are not jump cases. Usually made by Mills or Rusco although some are not marked.

Ron

heres some pics from the Spiwak 1928a1

he says all internals are in 'like new' condition and the bolt is a Savage

he doesnt want to take the internals out of the gun for pics

$23,999 doesnt seem like a horrible price considering you have to add a bit $$ for the security of buying from a well known dealer

pretty much a new/redone parts gun w/ little use....doesnt look like it was sandblasted too much.....

i have asked if there is pitting anywhere and for pics of the drum....this gun is a contender, but not my 1st choice.......anyone know if David is willing to bargain if the gun sits for a couple of months? i dont think his price is out of line all that much...id prefer matching #'s and would probably be more interested if it were...for a shooter grade its probably the perfect gun....for a future quick resale not as much

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/spiwak2_zpstwbx7pcq.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/spiwak3_zpsj6kfsvow.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/spiwak1_zpsukx7w0po.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Spiwak said guide rod And spring not being straight is normal and it is normal to be a bit off. It's something I haven't noticed before on other thompson pics. Spiwak has sold hundreds of these i assume so I'd expect him to be truthful and knowledgable. It's nice how fast he responds to questions. Even on a Saturday night

This is the guy that described a rusted gun with paint over it as "excellent". When

pressed about this description he would not relent and defended his description by

saying that the overall condition of the gun compensated for the pitting and paint.

The front right side of the receiver behind the ejection point has discoloration

like you would get with a weld and it is common to parkerize guns that have been

welded. The area I am talking about is right under the actuator in the picture. There

Is an upside-down "L" shaped discoloration....why?

I am not saying the gun is welded because I have not seen it. It could be oil on

the receiver, the lighting, etc. But for this kind of money you should inspect the gun

in person. At the least get a close up of that area of the receiver.

Oh - and the tilted buffer pilot is caused by the back of the breech oiler being

bent instead of laying flat against the back of the receiver. This happens all the

time and can be fixed but bending the breech oiler straight again.

Bob

Edited by reconbob

I asked for pics of all internals and got 1 pic with no internals removed.......i asked specifically about a reweld and he said no

if i bought this gun i would be paying a premium just for buying from a reputable dealer....its the only reason this gun even made my list...if an individual had this for sale on GB for $24k i wouldnt even look at it as its probably a bit over priced

i like posting things here to get all the reviews....its interesting what each person sees

Edited by huggytree

For $20,000+ any dealer should gladly field strip a gun and provide photos

of whatever you want to see photos of. This applies to any gun, not just

Thompsons and to any dealer not just Spivak. It's such a simple thing to do in

this age of digital cameras that any dealer that refused this would end the

deal for me because I would wonder what they don't want me to see.

Bob

he says there is no marks, that anything someone see's in the finish is just his bad photography and that he has a bad camera.....ive asked for a couple of pics of the inside of the receiver and parts taken out 2x's....he pretty much refuses and tells me there's nothing there to see

he is very,very responsive....he repies within 30 minutes or less....my belief is he's used to just selling guns off those pics on line to people who trust a large seller no questions asked.....from my business experience i know i can spot a price shopper from a mile away...and im sure ive shown up on his radar as a person who takes up his time and it leads no where.....he swears there is no reweld and im sure he would be willing to put it in a contract...ive also had another forum member who lives 2 hours away agree to look at the gun for me (extremely nice gesture).....i dont believe the gun is worth $24,000 even from a large dealer...his reputation is mostly good, but not perfect......if nothing shows up better in 30+ days i may make him an offer and get the fellow forum member to check the gun for me....i dont see the reweld mark in the photo, but forum members have quickly shown me flaws on every gun ive posted that i didnt notice at first.....so i dont discount that there could be an issue.......i wish Spiwak were more forthcoming......but i do see his side too from my experience with business and customers.........when i see someone i know wont be a customer i kinda blow them off as fast as possible too.......i dont know if this is how he sees me or not, but my gut says there is at least a bit of truth to that......the forum member lives 2 hours away(wish he lived 10 minutes).....so i cant see asking someone to commit to a 4.5 hour + gas trip to double check w/o an accepted offer from david done first.........my offer would be contingent on the form member checking the gun for reweld and getting me some pics.....i have heard a couple of negs on Spiwak, but i dont think ive heard of one he didnt make right, so at the end of the day he may not be perfect, but he fixes his problems.......im sure i have people who arent happy with my business either......the 1-2% who have a bad experience are always vocal while the 98% who are happy are silent......

He acted like I was asking for a bone marrow sample when I asked if he would take pictures of the Blish Lock slots in the receiver of the West Hurley I bought off him. When I explained my reasoning he basically insinuated that I had no idea what I was talking about and there was no issue nor 2 different types of cuts with WH Blish Lock slots.

Huggy-I'd ask and make sure that the gun is in his possession and ready for transfer before going further or you may end up waiting even longer. See one of my previous posts about my Spiwak experience.

Huggy,

Something is worn out that allows the buffer pin to tip over. This lets the spring pop out, jamming the bolt.

The spec for the hole in the back of the receiver is .350". The buffer rod also measures .350".

They rebush the receivers when the hole is bad, but this gun seems to have too many unknowns.

Probably best to keep looking.....Phil

the oiler doesnt hold the buffer rod?

something missing from the books----the change in oiler from the colts to the bridgeport.....i dont believe this was discussed in either of the books ive read.....there's really not many pics (if any) of this either....so i actually dont know if the rod goes through the receiver or through just the oiler?

thanks