Actuator Questions

I started collecting Thompsons a year ago, so I'm not a complete greenhorn, but I still find myself asking some basic questions:

On the 21/28's, why do we call the actuator an "actuator?" That's an unusual term, and I haven't encountered it before. Why not cocking handle?

On the M1/M1A1's, when Savage simplified the AO design, why did they move the actuator? And why did they put it on the right side of the receiver instead of the left? It seems to me that mounting it on the left would have been a lot handier.

Any enlightenment would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Gunner,

In some of my past reading about the Blish Lock system,the release of pressure that caused the two different metal types to slide over one another was called "actuation".So,I suppose that the knob you could pull to start that process by hand might be called an actuator. This is my best thought,not hard known fact.

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Why not put it on the left? Indeed. But arms designers may have been a little set in their ways. Later, the Germans began doing that, which is a good idea for right handers...in my opinion. Now you see it frequently.

BAR's operated from the left side.

I don`t know if the left side cocking is that great in the BARs...the gun itself is a bit long and heavy to hold it securely with just one hand,unlike a smaller subgun like an MP40...plus rackin` a long stroke 30.06 takes more effort than a little 9mm.Another point to consider is the non-reciprocating actuator of the BAR which does not allow positive forward assist,so sometimes you are fumbling around with a sticky round one handed...a bit awkward,especially in front of an audience that tend to gather when I break out the BARs...just some of my observations. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I have seen ambidexterous (sp) M1s - I can't remember where. Seems like a slot in the reciever is all you need.... Anyone got a picture of one of these?

Smoker,

Don't full auto BAR's fire from an open bolt? The bolt handle should have nothing to do with assisting a round into the chamber. The bolt takes care of that when you pull the trigger. Just my .02

I think Mr Richardson offeres that as an option on his display recevers. like the idea myself, an no recyprocating BAR style charging handle on the left side of the gun. Course the Thompson is ahead of most other guns here, on a lot of guns you have to hit the bolt release, the Thompson you just stick in another stick and continue. Unless your one of the boys with the drums....

BB

Chopper28,..you are correct in that FA BARs fire from and open bolt...but sometimes the bolt doesn`t always close on the first round...depending how the bolt strips the top round out of the mag,some mags ride a little higher and the bolt drags a little or the round might have a wider shoulder...like when I accidently crimp it too hard during reloading or the chamber is full of fouling...on the semis which fire from the closed bolt,it is still a pain...a right side actuator might work easier for us rightys,just my .02,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif