50 Rd Repro Drums?

The 39 rounder was made for the Model Gun Corporation originally for their blank firing guns. West Hurley did not have a source for drums (L drum size) for their guns and purchased these and added their information to the drum. Typically they run OK. They later added the actual 50 round drums

Ron

A side note: The MGC 20 round Thompson stick mags worked in "real" Thompsons. I read that they loaded and fed just fine. I think our very own Administrator had one.

Yes, I still have it. I'm 90% sure it was the magazine that was included with my WH M1 when I purchased it NIB in 1988. I shot it for many years without knowing it was for an MGC.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If your play with the rail on the drum, use a vice to adjust it as it will be an even adjustment along the length, and you can control exactly how much pressure you use to "crush" it in. Use multiple minor adjustments checking fit along the way. Once its too narrow, no good way to undo that adjustment. Same as not being able to get a board stretcher...

I have never seen a MGC Replica gun drum from 1968 or later with a spring or internal parts. And talked to Tommy Nelson{Who has been a dear friend for over thirty years.} about that items two years ago. When he was at SAR SHOW. I had bought a MP-40 in 1968.one of the first when they imported them.I Had it in my foot locker at Lejeune in 1969. and the Thompson in 1970. When the Thompson arrived a empty pan shell drum no spring rotor or track. And Nelson told me they were never workable drums. So please somebody post a made from Model Gun Corp that era drum. so I can tell Him they do exist. i have never owned or seen one ever.

So in my Med induced Brain i want to see one.And not some internet made up bull crap.And thanks to the guys who stopped by at SAR show. As you can tell i was not on any drugs. And those that bought the New cond Spare parts kits and the other mint new fresh Thompson items i had,shot mags. Pouch. Mills cases slings.And some small parts,walked away happy.Mike got the 21 early Manual, The first two guys thought it was not real..Like the Lyman site new in box with rivets,A great time was had by all.

So post pic's and it working. and also the engraved tab front and rear. and dated acquired.

thanks RON K.

Ron thanks for the pic.And also have my info from Trast about the 39 round drum from 1975/77 era. Made in the u.s.a. It was never for any MGC replica model. Was made for the 1927 semi Thompson.And when the production crew could not get it to function with rotor and spring issue for 50 rounds. they found 40 worked perfectly. They said F it. Maybe some factory guy from that time will chime in. Since lost and tossed most of my early Auto /Ord Valentine material,that was told directly to me from Ira himself. when i said a 40 forty round drum you kidding me, And they still had WW2 50's in stock.

The chit go's deep with Thompson stuff.RON K.

Hmmm Id love to know the whole story then. As I understand, the body, cover and winding key were made for MGC. Trast used them along with the custom rotor for the single track 39 round drums converted and marketed by him. However if there is evidence that Ira bought the stamping dies to make the drums used for the 39 rounders, it would be great to know.

Ron

He contracted with a us firm not Japanese outfit. And it was not Tommy Nelson from Replica models who worked first with Nippon to do all the model guns.They made up the first drums and not strong enough springs, They already had original 50's to tear apart in stock to work from. But wanted a new made drum to go with the semi's.I bought Serial #177 from Trast myself in the first six months of production.gun sits on a wall behind a bar in a guys basement now in Illinois.

Will see who is alive back east. Remember most have kicked off. these guys already hit age 50 in 1977.

I am sure Ron you are not near 70 are you? And remember they could not even duplicate the winding key from the mgc perfectly. And even the MP-40 mags early ones did not work in real guns.I know i tried. can you guess i had real MP-40's in the 70's to test them in.

The new replica drums started off from a deal i made when i was working with a good buddy on the MP-44 MAGS. When SSD in Germany could not help me. We turned to Taiwan. I beat out Charlie on that deal.He did his own thing, And the MOON dudes later on.I did so many freaking deals i forgot half of them.NOT much help and i can still walk and talk.haha have fun and a good 2019 soon RON K.