Colt 3rd Gen Drum Id - Rki

Hi,

The drum you show is either a late model Colt manufactured drum (no serial number provision) or a first model Worcester Press drum. It is 1930's vintage and looks to be in nice shape. It is a drum made exclusively for the Colt made guns.

If the rotor is nickel colored it is an earlier drum, if the rotor is blued it is a Worcester Press drum.

Hope this helps.

Sig: My first impression is a "Plain Colt L Drum" UNLESS THERE ARE TACK WELDS in addition to the rivets. See pages 330 - 336 of Thompson: the American Legend the first submachine gun by Tracie Hill. If so it is rare.

HI,

It obviously was made after 1928, hence the 1928 winding instructions. That is why I indicated it was 1930's vintage. Hawksnest is correct, if it dosen't have the spot welds in addition to the rivets, it the last model (no serial number provision) Colt made drum.

It still would be helpful to know the color of the rotor.

Dougs drum book would indicate what has already been said (page 66). 1928 colt drum. He lists a Colt's Patent Firearms Manufacturing Co. as the maker. He also indicates the some were numbered some not. Originally a black oxide over sand blast. Its a great reference.

Dan

After Reading Frank's most excellent book, "American Thunder",

I was surprised to learn that a company based in Brooklyn was given a goverment contract to produce 50 round drums and stick magazines. According to Frank's book, the New York District Ordinance Inspectors rejected all of the drums and sticks ( the company, The Charles Fischer Spring Company were suplied with some obselete mag drawings so I suppose they were doomed from the start). They were then all scrapped and the contract cancelled.

I think I shall go on a field trip in the following weeks to kent Ave. Brooklyn and see if the old building still exists, and better yet, if I can find an old timer who may have worked there and squirreled away a case of Fischer Spring 50 round Thompson Drums... Oh, I'll just by a lotto ticket! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Cheers, Zamm

Arthur,

No, it was a complete minty matching Colt "L" Drum...Yes, that other "L" Drum has been up there for well over a year. Same goes for his "C" Drum. Indeed, WH Drums have been listed at $800.00, though I doubt anybody has spent that kind of money for one. Who knows, maybe a few have. Most I've Paid has been $600.00. Though I recently spent less than $250.00 for a WH 50Rd Drum too. All it takes is spending some time looking. It can save a person $$$$

OK so the drum is either 3rd Generation Colt or Worcester, which is what I was wondering.

If a blue rotor (it's nickel) then it would be Worcester and is a new piece of information to me not mentioned in Hill's book.

My review of the font's specifically shown in Hill's book on page 331 makes me believe I am looking at a REAR plate from a Colt 3rd Generation. Looking at the FRONT plate and page 332 it seems from the fonts it is a Worcester.

The fonts are specifically mentioned in Hill's book as being different from the Colt 3rd Gen to the Worcester.

These are very subtle differences noted only when I look at where the letters alignment over the next row.

Hill's book mentions tack welds for the Worcester I have no idea how to determine that with this picture any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Sig, you're not alone. I sold what I believed to be, and still believe was, a Worcester L-Type drum a few months ago on this board for $1,000 to a gentleman in Ohio. I posted pics of the nickel internals, yet no one at the time said it might be a Colt. I do not know, based on Tracie Hill's book, that nickel internals are exclusive to Colt originals. I believe that the Worcester drums also had nickel internals. Correct me, if I am wrong, anyone. I, too, would like some clarification on this. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Regards, Walter

Not sure whether or not the Worcester Drum had a Nickel Rotor. I'm inclined to believe that they did. The only WW2 Drum that I know of that came furnished with a Nickel Rotor would be a Crosby. Worchester Drums are marked W.P.S. CO.

Sig,

Here is a picture of the differences between your drum and the Worcester Press drum. According to Doug Richardson's Drum Book, the drum you pictured has the identical font spacing of the 1928 Colt drum magazine pictured on Page 65 of his book.

Note the line-up of the "S" under the "I" on the Worcester drum and the "S" between the "N" and "E" on the Colt drum. Also the "5" of .45 lines up under the "G" on the Colt and between the "G" and "U" on the Worcester.

This would be the last style Colt drum before the Worcester Press drums. Enjoy the photos:

http://members.aol.com/gijive/Drums.jpg

Thanks gijive, I think I may have sold a Colt. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif Oh well, live and learn, I guess. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif Regards, Walter