ISO Shooter M1A1

Since the barrel was replaced and going off the photographs of the finish. It appears to be a recent parkerized finish, not a 1950's Armory parkerizing finish. A very nice looking re-activated USGI M1A1 for $20,000

Sturmgewher ad "M1A1 Thompson- pretty gun, nice shooter.

This was refinished and had new barrel
installed (Old bbl was California de-
activated but they didn’t touch the gun

itself). OBO"

Since the barrel was replaced and going off the photographs of the finish. It appears to be a recent parkerized finish, not a 1950's Armory parkerizing finish. A very nice looking re-activated USGI M1A1 for $20,000

Sturmgewher ad "M1A1 Thompson- pretty gun, nice shooter.

This was refinished and had new barrel

installed (Old bbl was California de-

activated but they didnt touch the gun

itself). OBO"

Thanks for that info i wasnt sure but that wasnt a deal breaker for me either way...i got a good deal in todays world.

To me a Rewat is worth what a nice WH is worth. Thats the advice I gave and thats what he found. A beautiful m1 for $20,000

These guys asking $25,000 for pitted rewats blow my mind.

Full price for a Rewat isnt what Id buy. For a shooter a Rewat is perfect but for a Rewat price.

To me a Rewat is worth what a nice WH is worth. Thats the advice I gave and thats what he found. A beautiful m1 for $20,000

These guys asking $25,000 for pitted rewats blow my mind.

Full price for a Rewat isnt what Id buy. For a shooter a Rewat is perfect but for a Rewat price.

What’s the price disadvantage of a rewat that shows no signs of it former dewat status vs. a non dewat example in equal condition?

in petro 1's case the dewat was some odd CA law and a barrel....i dont understand, but supposedly its just a barrel swap....i wondered why even mention its a rewat at all?? only way to tell is a FOIA and you cant get one on a gun until you own it......or tell the current owner to sit and wait 6 months+ until you buy it when the FOIA comes in....

in the case of the mp40 i was trying to buy the refinish wouldnt take bluing..so you could see exactly what was done...that gun is on various for sale websites right now asking near full ''normal'' price for a mismatch/refinish/rewat.......why when for $1-2k more you can get an original finish gun.....

for me id rather have a police 1928ac or wait for the more rare original 1928a1.....original finish thompsons are in short supply right now..

i think petro 1 paid what that gun was worth...maybe $1-2k less.......i think most guns are over priced and thats why they are sitting...low on quality, high on price

i doubt you find a nicer $20,000 gun than he got.....but i dont see the $25k guns selling with rewat and pitted finish...they may need to adjust their prices

Edited by huggytree

you have scored at least multiple bargain guns so far on my count.....all thousands under value....you could sell all of them for more than you paid the next day....a very smart buyer you are!...its nice to start out ahead of the game on day 1 vs waiting years for values to catch up with what you paid......we all learn that lesson...maybe you will avoid it.

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread. Dan Sheas office called on tuesday said my M1A1 stamp came in. I drove up to Dans offices on wed from phx and picked it up. On thursday i ran 300 rounds thru it at the local indoor range. She ran 100% perfect and i am very happy now!! ty everyone on this great forum for all the info i have received before the purchase all those months while i was waiting.Here is a video taken by the range officer. :) Vin

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5470.JPG

Edited by Petroleum 1

>"….i wondered why even mention its a rewat at all?? only way to tell is a FOIA and you cant get one on a gun until you own it......or tell the current owner to sit and wait 6 months+ until you buy it when the FOIA comes in…."<

No, an FOIA request is certainly not the only way to determine if an MG is a reactivated DEWAT. This is a common misunderstanding. Under ATF rules, a reactivation is 'manufacturing", or as they call it, "making" and as such requires the "maker" to ID the reactivated MG with his name and address. Most reactivations are marked so are clearly identified. Those that are not marked and are registered under a vintage manufacturing source and have been reactivated can be identified as such by anyone familiar with DEWATs and the kind of work required to reactivate. While minor deactivation damage can be repaired with virtually no evidence there is always something that will reveal it.

The marking requirement has been a detraction and can contribute minor devaluation on vintage MGs for many collectors and I've made a couple efforts over the last twenty years to persuade ATF to eliminate it but have not been successful even with one of the directors with whom I spoke at KC several times. Too bad since it is stupid and meaningless for many reasons.

Excellent craftsmanship on reactivations can restore an MG to virtually total originality so the value doesn't suffer much if at all and depending on the rarity and scarcity of a popular MG, value is not affected. These days with many types of vintage MGs the former DEWAT status is not much of an issue and with the increase in collectors who want new looking examples of older MGs, refinishing can actually enhance the value.

FWIW

>".i wondered why even mention its a rewat at all?? only way to tell is a FOIA and you cant get one on a gun until you own it......or tell the current owner to sit and wait 6 months+ until you buy it when the FOIA comes in."

No, an FOIA request is certainly not the only way to determine if an MG is a reactivated DEWAT. This is a common misunderstanding. Under ATF rules, a reactivation is 'manufacturing", or as they call it, "making" and as such requires the "maker" to ID the reactivated MG with his name and address. Most reactivations are marked so are clearly identified. Those that are not marked and are registered under a vintage manufacturing source and have been reactivated can be identified as such by anyone familiar with DEWATs and the kind of work required to reactivate. While minor deactivation damage can be repaired with virtually no evidence there is always something that will reveal it.

The marking requirement has been a detraction and can contribute minor devaluation on vintage MGs for many collectors and I've made a couple efforts over the last twenty years to persuade ATF to eliminate it but have not been successful even with one of the directors with whom I spoke at KC several times. Too bad since it is stupid and meaningless for many reasons.

Excellent craftsmanship on reactivations can restore an MG to virtually total originality so the value doesn't suffer much if at all and depending on the rarity and scarcity of a popular MG, value is not affected. These days with many types of vintage MGs the former DEWAT status is not much of an issue and with the increase in collectors who want new looking examples of older MGs, refinishing can actually enhance the value.

FWIW

Speaking of which, and I definitely agree. It seems Ruben has an mp44 for sale, but for some reason the Florida stamp next to the waffenamps and cos stamps is hard to ignore :)