M1a1 Spitting gas into my face when i shoot it

This is a WW2 Savage M1a1 and I always get little puffs of gas in my face when I shoot it,

Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks All.

Grease Gunner

Edited by Grease Gunner

Welcome to the wonderful world of M1/M1A1s. I have to wipe a layer of CLP off my glasses when I shoot mine. :lol:

FWIW this does not happen nearly as badly (if it happens at all) with '28s if you use a urethane buffer. The buffer provides a pretty good seal between the flange on the guide and the back of the receiver. On the flangeless M1 guide and metal encased buffer not so much

Welcome to the wonderful world of M1/M1A1s. I have to wipe a layer of CLP off my glasses when I shoot mine. :lol:

FWIW this does not happen nearly as badly (if it happens at all) with '28s if you use a urethane buffer. The buffer provides a pretty good seal between the flange on the guide and the back of the receiver. On the flangeless M1 guide and metal encased buffer not so much

Hmm.. I remember a RTV trick you do to the gap of a AR-15 charging handle when you shoot suppressed. I suppose a little RTV on a hard the buffer would do the same.

Hmm.. I remember a RTV trick you do to the gap of a AR-15 charging handle when you shoot suppressed. I suppose a little RTV on a hard the buffer would do the same.

You got me thinking (always dangerous). A "Dowty seal" for a 1/8" BSPP is .402" ID and would just slip over the M1 guide rod. The elastomeric seal is molded to a 2mm thick metal ring which would reduce the tendency of the seal to get extruded through the guide hole at the rear of the receiver. If you installed it behind the buffer, it might go a long way to reducing the spray.

There are problems though:

1) I don't know if the bolt actually impacts the buffer. If it does, the 2mm (.078") thickness might cause it to do so with significantly greater force

2) It would be a sacrificial part since sooner or later it would get destroyed

3) Given how the M1 buffer/guide assembly goes together would be a nightmare to install

The Parker Fluid Power P/N is D9DT-2. See page O6 https://www.parker.com/literature/Tube%20Fittings%20Division/O-Rings%20and%20Seals.pdf

Edited by StrangeRanger

I usually add lots of CLP to my 28's as oil and lens wipes are both much cheaper than parts!

The bolts act like a pump.

Use a bit less oil.

One th9ing I have been thinking about is adding a dollop of RTV around the back of the buffer pilot when assembling. That wouldn't hurt anything but would seal up the gaps a bit. And it would peel off the next cleaning easily.

Anyone try this? Curious.......

Whole point of suggesting RTV was that the dimensions would not really change and the RTV would get into the groves to stop chance of leakage. Easy to remove like john said.

Also it's not like a air tight area where all the air pressure wants to push through the hole..

I don't mind giving it a try. I'm out of RTV so I'll have to get some. I was planning on doing this any case since I have a hard buffer.. at least until PK mails me my polyurethane buffer.

RTV is in our living room, across from the couch.

What is the "RTV" you're all mentioning?

That is cute. I needed the laugh.

Does PK make an M1 buffer? Last time I contacted him, he said he didn't.

Sorry I was referring to my 1928 buffer. I have no idea if he makes one for the M1 yet. I find is strange he wouldn't make one, but maybe he doesn't do many M1s to make it worth doing.. though I would have thought it would be some type of cookie cutter to make buffers.

Edited by Ryo

This actually wins The Board for the month. R

RTV is in our living room, across from the couch.

What is the "RTV" you're all mentioning?

Clint and many others approaching 90 years old do tend to squint. No Presidential reference intended or implied.

When I switched to my own version of a M1 buffer, I sandwiched a steel plate between two pieces of neoprene/polyurethane/whatever.

I made the rear piece with an undersized hole that was a tight fit over the rod.

Totally eliminated rear hole blowback. (Make your own joke).

Edited by mnshooter