Introduction and Advice on First TSMG Purchase

I called the shop that has the GB M1. Basically no history known. Pics said to be incoming and Ill post them once here. Said no knowledge or appearance of rewat. For a gun that is going to get used a lot I like the price point. Rifling said to be excellent.

Petroleum 1,

the gunbroker gun has been refinished relatively recently by modern means, beadblasting then phosphate since everything is a uniform color. Reuben's gun has a blued and updated rear sight, blued barrel, etc which either how it was assembled originally, or when it was overhauled they would update the sight and install a new barrel.....no need to refinish the whole gun as aesthetics was secondary. I'm not a Thompson aficionado even though I still have three and owned a bunch more, so others in the know hopefully will chime in as to when the rear sights were changed to the protected version? And when the cutoff was for upgrading and remarking to M1A1 (somehow I'm thinking it was random?). I could dig through the library, but am too lazy at the moment and can't remember? Mine looks just like Reuben's, but is remarked to M1A1 even thought the rest of the features are identical. I'm a little surprised he doesn't show the matching numbers on the lower in a photo? In this specific case for me personally, Reuben's gun is the better buy IMO (I can't even believe I typed that?)

Getting actual history on most of these guns is pretty tough. Most of them led mundane lives, which is why they still look nice and are with us today. The stuff that really got used is on ebay as "battlefield relics". I can't tell you how many Vietnam stories I overhear at gun shows from guys in their late 50's.

HTH

HTH: "Vietnam stories I overhear from guys in their late fifties". Great observation!

Last week: "Wow, yeah my buddy was in Vietnam in 1969. Airborne, Tank commander. He's your age".

Really? Commander? College grad, basic, OCS, Ft Knox, jump-school? Your buddy would be..."75"?.....Phil

We'll, it was definitely refinished - apparently with the barrel on judging by the scratch marks on the top of the barrel. GEG, RLB, etc markings are a little faded. How did the serial No. And other letter/number markings fare? Any other side pictures of the receiver?

Andrew

Pics are really lacking

I cant judge anything from those pics

Hows the bore?

How strong are the stamps ?

Need 20 pics up and down the gun. A pic of the bore would be nice

Without a ton of pics how do you know its not pitted ?

If not pitted and welded on I dont think its a bad deal from what I can see

Of course make him an offer. Dont offer full price. Might get $1,000-2000 off

Does it come w mags ?

I do see some pitting on the top

Wonder how much more is there? You got a pic of the top and the bottom. Just a small area. You have almost nothing shown. At this rate you may need 50 pics to see the gun

Edited by huggytree

"I'm a little surprised he doesn't show the matching numbers on the lower in a photo? In this specific case for me personally, Reuben's gun is the better buy IMO (I can't even believe I typed that?)"

I'd buy the Gunbroker one at 5K less if you want a shooter. Just a tad more than a W. Hurley.

If you want a collector get a Colt.

Matching numbers on an arsenal refinished WW2 is special but for just a tad more you can get a Colt.

Why fool around ?

PS "Just a tad more" has cost me through the a** ! ;)

But well worth it in the long run after years of collecting other stuff.

Edited by lightguy

Here is another one to check out but i have no idea what that rear sight is doing on it and the add says its a 1978?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/760684976

Hey its only had 500 rounds through it !

4 (count 'em) Killer pictures from a new seller !

"Excellent" condition !

Bill-Ted-Excellent-Adventure-Reunion-Ent

What could go wrong ?

;)

Edited by lightguy

Here is another one to check out but i have no idea what that rear sight is doing on it and the add says its a 1978?

What could go wrong ?

;)

Lol!! The gun makes no sense to me maybe a Numrich parts build in the 70s??

What could go wrong ?

;)

Who knows ?

If its the real deal at 19K its a steal

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/28/28ef42680e4363e428684f5c703d5cda9f1d4958a37af18a2f466fb128f6f139.jpg

Here's more pics of the GB gun I've been posting...

yv7X0IK.jpg

5oQFMyG.jpg

XEBswV4.jpg

lq7ZNwD.jpg

Lightguy - ok I'll bite. If I wait over the course of 1-2 years a search for a 21/28 Navy what could I reasonably expect to pay for a Colt? How much am I going to devalue it when I put 20,000 rounds through it in the next 5-10 years?

Edit - I received the last two TATA mailings and my copy of American Thunder. Thanks for the rec everyone, awesome reading about the Baby Face Nelson gun. in TATA vol 49.

Edited by Conrad

What could go wrong ?

;)

The 19k gun may be an example of a welded/rewat gun. Only speculation and only based on a quick look at 4 crappy pics and the 1970s comment. Would warrant much more investigation if considering.

Ps a decent Navy will be $30/32+

Ron

What could go wrong ?

;)

The 19k gun may be an example of a welded/rewat gun. Only speculation and only based on a quick look at 4 crappy pics and the 1970s comment. Would warrant much more investigation if considering.

Ron

Did they ever put the 1928 sights on the M1A1??

What could go wrong ?

;)

Ron

Did they ever put the 1928 sights on the M1A1??
The Lyman L sight was used on the early M1s before they switched to the one with protective ears. But not the A1s.

Andrew

Edited by Adg105200