Why I Need A M1a1

http://www.hunt101.com/img/173866.jpgCheck out the picture.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/173866.jpg

This is my favorite uncle somewhere in France around the time of the Battle of the Bulge. He has never talked much to me about WWII, or how a private aquired a Thompson as his weapon. The Thompson ended up in a river somewhere in Germany, as he ditched it before heading home. Too bad.

Unfortunately, Uncle Hugh was just diagnosed with lung cancer and is a short timer. He got some neat stuff home, and I'll end up with most of it. But it will be bittersweet.

You guys need to help me find a nice Savage M1A1, US Property Marked.

Sorry guys, figured out how to hyperlink the photo. Should have done it the first time.

Ken

Edited by TNKen

That is one nice picture. I am sorry to hear about what your Uncle is going through. Maybe now he may talk to you about his experiences, so they may be shared before he leaves for good. What unit did he fight with?

I wish I could help you with the M1A1. I too want a M1/M1A1 Thompson, but they are way out of price range that I could afford. I have to settle with my semi sbr M1, but that is ok.

Scott

Sorry to hear about your Uncle, I lost my dad to cancer just over 3 years ago, it's not easy, I know. Not to change the subject but where in Tennessee are ya'? I'm in the Crossville area. If you're close maybe we can get together and jaw about guns sometime. Talk to ya' later, take care.

Don't know what unit he served in. All I know is that he was trained as an artilleryman, but given a rifle and sent to the front in the Battle of the Bulge. Said he never saw a piece of artillery for several months, except what the Germans were firing at them.

Yep, trying to decide whether to move the Mobile Police Dept AO 1928AC and replace it with a nice M1A1. Can't do both right now.

Any ideas on what the Mobile PD '28 might be worth?

Frank, I'm up in Bristol, went to wildlife school in Cookeville at TTU, and spent a little time on the plateau at Catoosa WMA when I was in school.

Ken

Bristol, you lucky dawg, that is if you're into NASCAR Racing. Dang, sounds like you've spent some time around my stompin' grounds. Do you remember the single shooting area off of Genesis Rd. North of Crossville? I used to sight in there. Small world, hope ya' find a nice M1a1. Good luck. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Ken,

I'm not in Tenn (obviously) but not too far up the road from you...maybe an hour or so. If you ever get up towards Wytheville look me up. If a WH doesn't curdle your blood, I've got an M1 you can play with (no, I'm not looking to get rid of it.)

TNKen--

You've got a great picture there. I think you will get the M1a1. Your uncle will provide you with good inspiration. My dad was also in artillery and he also found himself in different parts of the war.

Naw, NASCAR is boring. I usually go to the August night race in Bristol, and go to sleep. I have a short attention span. Love drag racing. Fuel cars are a 1 to 10 ratio in horsepower to a Cup car. I have always wanted to do a weekend in Paul Smith's top fuel drag racing school (only $10,000).

Worked in Saltville, Virginia with the Virginia Game Commission for about 6 years on Clinch Mountain WMA. Spent lots of time in the national forest around Wytheville and Rual Retreat.

Yep, I need to get on the M1A1 bandwagon before they get so far out of reason you just look at them and shake your head. I remember about 4-5 years ago passing on them at $4,500. Of course HK sears were $2,500, 21's were an astounding $11,000 and an M-16A1 was $5,000.

I've got one spotted. Question is whether I sell/trade the Mobile PD gun to get in it. I hate selling guns, especially MG's.

Ken

LOL, I'm more into Drag Racing my self. My brothers are really into NASCAR so I've been watching it trying to get back into it. I use to watch it back in the late 70's when Richard Petty was the "King", now that was NASCAR.

If worse comes to worse you can always go the SBR route with a semi, I know it's not the same rush but at least you'd be close. Here's a pic of my baby, it's a '95 AO, 27a1 that I've fixed up a bit.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/162295.JPG

Talk to ya' later. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

My Motto - don't sell anything you may later regret!

Has made me have to make a big barn, and it is full, no surprise.

But - no regrets either!

Take a home equity loan out, the M1 is appreciating far faster than the interest rate on any loan!

Hi Ken,

Small world. I was born in Kingsport and lived in Colonial Heights. I have kin in Limestone.

As for Thompsons I blame the FBI and my mother. My parents dragged me and my brother up to Washington in 1976 and we went on a tour of the FBI building. The Thompsons they had on display are etched into my memory. I think they were the first "real" guns I ever saw. My mother had hoped to put the fear of the guv'mint and laws and stuff in us, but all I learned from the experience is the FBI has cooler toys than I do.

It was fun to see my grandfather handle my M1. I enjoy getting him to talk about the war -stories about Tokyo Rose, the daily Japanese hassle bombing, and the fine technique of "grenade fishing".

Best,

Cheesebeast

Don't tell anyone, but I practice in Bristol. Corporate/construction/collection type stuff mostly. Shoot in a lot of the local IDPA competitions, Kettlefoot, Greeneville at Tac2, Boone, NC.

Sounds like we need to have an East Tennessee reunion/MG shoot!!

Ken

Howdy Sten,

I now live up north (where the land is frozen 2/3rds of the year- she lied to me!) in New Hampshire. I sure do miss Tennessee, though. I was down in Limestone this April and was shocked to see all the development in the area. WOW!

Seems to me there is something in the water in East Tennessee when it comes to Thompson ownership. Could be runoff from the Eastman Kodak plant?

I had seen several mentions of Limestone on this board, and thought JEEZ how many people with Thompsons can there be in that tiny area??

Best,

Cheese

QUOTE (TNKen @ Jun 11 2004, 10:51 AM)
Don't tell anyone, but I practice in Bristol.

Ken

LMAO!!! I feel your pain... I sell insurance for a living.... Been there done that...

Blaine

You know how many, "man did I get screwed by the insurance company", stories I have heard??

Cheese Beast--

I used to live in Limestone, near the downtown area, if you could call it that. I decided to move out when I heard two trucks doing a tug-of-war, about 1:00 AM, right there on main street. Count me in on that East TN shoot.