Shall Sign (NFA) States (update January 15, 2016)

Sig

Going to start a topic to keep track of states with Shall sign laws for NFA firearms.

We are talking of course shall sign for those with no known reason to deny.

From the information I have the following currently or are soon to have this.
We should encourage in our local states similar legislation.

So here goes, Disclaimer, your mileage may vary, and I am not an attorney yada yada.

Information is from other posts.

The organization below seems active on this type of legislation for two states, probably worth supporting them in your local state.
http://americansilencerassociation.com/about/

Alaska signed into law May 27, 2010
Arizona effective July 24, 2014
Arkansas effective April 1, 2015
Kansas effective July 1, 2014
Kentucky effective July 15, 2014

Maine effective November 2015

North Carolina effective August 6, 2015
North Dakota effective April 2015?

Ohio effective March 19, 2015
Oklahoma effective November 1, 2014, by overwhelmingly override of a governor veto.
Tennessee effective July 1, 2003
Utah effective May 13, 2014
West Virginia effective July 3, 2015?

These states effectively are understood to have a mandatory state police shall sign.

Louisiana effective May 11th for suppressor, SBR, SBS mandatory Louisiana State Police sign off

Maryland has Maryland State Police sign off

When I bought my first in '84-ish , if I had had a problem with the local city cop , I could go to the county sheriff . If I had a problem there , I could go to the state AG. It has alwasy been a non-problem in Arizona ( AFAIK ) . ( I just always went to the sheriff , the last four have been family / personal friends and that dates back clear into the '60s or so. )

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

In reference to Oklahoma. The VETO by the Governor was over-ridden by both the House and Senate.

It will be Oklahoma State law on 11/1/2014 all CLEOs must sign.

Going to start a topic to keep track of states with "Shall sign" laws for NFA firearms.

We are talking of course shall sign for those with no known reason to deny.

From the information I have the following currently or are soon to have this.

We should encourage in our local states similar legislation.

So here goes, Disclaimer, your mileage may vary, I am not an attorney and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, yada yada

Information is from other posts

Kansas just passed a bill yesterday May 23, 2014

Utah effective May 13, 2014

The organization below seems active on this type of legislation for the above two states, probably worth supporting them in your local state.

http://americansilencerassociation.com/about/

Tennessee, since 2003

Kentucky signed April 7, 2014

Alaska since 2010??

Arizona has a passed bill pending signature from the Governor as of 4/23/14

Maine has been mentioned but I could not find anything quickly to confirm.

Oklahoma Adding on 5/8/14, as it is understood the Legislature there overrode a Governor veto, by my information on 4/30/14

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ohio was added to the list when Governor Kasich signed it yesterday. I now list Ohio among the most gun friendly states, even better than TX. TX will not accept an OH CHL, but OH will accept a TX CHL now. OH has open carry of pistols, which, while not really recommended, is something you can't do in TX. My CLEO will now have to sign off on suppressors, which he doesn't like.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

http://graphics.nra.org/ila/leg_alert/0header_leg_alert.jpg

Ohio: Comprehensive Pro-Gun Reform Legislation Signed into Law Today

http://graphics.nra.org/ila/leg_alert/line.gif

Today at a public signing ceremony, Governor John Kasich ® signed into law House Bill 234, comprehensive pro-gun reform legislation. HB 234 will take effect in ninety days.

While originally a bill allowing for the use of suppressors while hunting, the Senate Civil Justice Committee added many other pro-gun provisions to HB 234. HB 234 then passed in the Ohio Senate by a 24 to 6 vote on December 9, and was concurred by the state House of Representatives by a 72 to 21 vote on December 10.

HB 234 makes a number of positive changes to Ohio’s firearm laws. HB 234, as signed into law:

• Improves the concealed handgun license process by (1) reducing the number of training hours required from 12 to 8 hours, (2) eliminating minimum length-of-residency requirements, (3) allowing non-residents who work in Ohio to apply for a CHL in the county or adjacent county in which they work, and (4) makes special provisions for members of the military who have been honorably discharged or retired, extending their competency certification from six years to ten years after honorable discharge or retirement.
  • Expands concealed carry reciprocity to visitors and persons temporarily in Ohio who have valid out-of-state licenses, regardless of whether the license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Ohio.
  • Repeals the prohibition on Ohio citizens buying and/or selling long guns or ammunition from only the five contiguous states of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Citizens of Ohio can now purchase and/or sell rifles and shotguns in any state as long as the firearm laws in both states are obeyed.
  • Includes a “shall certify” provision which requires a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) to sign off on an application to transfer an item regulated by the National Firearms Act, once the application procedure and requirements are met. This provision eliminates personal bias towards NFA-related items, requiring CLEOs to sign off and process the application in the same way they do a concealed handgun license.
  • Allows for the use of firearm sound suppressors while hunting in the Buckeye State.
  • Brings Ohio’s definition of “automatic firearm” in line with the federal definition, limiting it to only any firearm designed or adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger.

Your NRA thanks you for your active involvement in the passage and enactment of HB 234, as well as the state legislators who voted for its passage. We also thank Governor Kasich for signing this important pro-gun reform into law.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the VA governor vetoed the Shall Sign bill and then an override veto vote missed by 2 votes in the Senate. That sucks. Hopefully next year.

Trying to keep up but it looks like a couple other States are in various stages of advancing similar legislation, those are WV and MN.

• 2 weeks later...

When I moved to West Virginia several years ago, I contacted the State Police to see if everything was kosher and to see if there was any reporting

requirements. They said as long as it was legal by the Feds, they were good with it.

When I went to the Martinsburg Sheriff's office to get a sign off on bringing the guns to my home. They were actually exited about my collection and

requested that I bring a couple in so they could see them. They goggled a bunch when they saw them.

They did say when I brought them in, to leave them in a case and ask for the Sheriff before exposing them:-)

A great state to live in,

Darryl

As a resident of Arizona I sometimes forget about the hardships those in other States face due to the gun grabers throwing roadblocks in their way every chance they get. I am immediately reminded to be thankful I had the good sense to pick up and move here 20 years ago.

Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Believe the recent ATF 41F going into effect July 13, 2016 effectively TRUMPS this thread. No pun intended.

Thrilled to be able to say that. There will be so many previously frustrated individuals getting their first taste of Title II items.

• Upvote 1