Options for selling pistol on a form 4

Kilroy

I have a pistol that I am going to sell soon, it’s a High Standard .22 with an integral barrel suppressor. What is the best way to go about selling it? I have never sold a NFA item before. It is currently on a form 4. I was thinking of putting it on gunbroker to sell it, I do not suspect it’s overly valuable, maybe $500?

I have a pistol that I am going to sell soon, it’s a High Standard .22 with an integral barrel suppressor. What is the best way to go about selling it? I have never sold a NFA item before. It is currently on a form 4. I was thinking of putting it on gunbroker to sell it, I do not suspect it’s overly valuable, maybe $500?

E mail me I will pay the tax if we make a deal. I am FFL/SOT

Yes , exactly what it is is important .

1) Original WW2 ....10s of thousands of dollars.

2) That company's copy on post war recievers and a new made but faithful tube copy ....2,500 - ish

3) A copy built on an original WW2 gun with a modern gutted look-alike tube ( like mine ) .... $1500 -ish

4) A copy built on a post war receiver and a tube which doesn't look WW2-ish …. under $1000 .

Chris

It’s a post war (commercial) High-Standard Military Model H-D .22 pistol with a Ciener suppressor. I bought it as a replica of the OSS .22 High Standard pistol which it really is not. I’m afraid the value would be little just because it’s likely to be a double transfer, but I don’t know it’s true value.

Not the best of pictures, but here are some

https://imgur.com/a/pK0Uvzs

• 8 months later...

So, I am finally motivated to sell this. I never really got a consensus, is the best bet for me to sell it on gunbroker, or would I be better consigning it to a dealer and letting them handle the sale etc? If I go the gun broker route and I sell it out of state, how does that work can I just mail it/fed ex it? What’s the shipping restrictions on a suppressed pistol?

Same as other firearms - selling to a person out of state requires using a dealer in the buyer's state who in turn transfers to your buyer. As bmarvin noted, the $400 in tax may dampen enthusiasm and your results. I somewhat recently let go of a not collectible item (modern SBR) - it was worthwhile transferring to a consignment dealer for $200 and let him get a better price.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am finally motivated to sell this. I never really got a consensus, is the best bet for me to sell it on gunbroker, or would I be better consigning it to a dealer and letting them handle the sale etc? If I go the gun broker route and I sell it out of state, how does that work can I just mail it/fed ex it? What’s the shipping restrictions on a suppressed pistol?

IMO, the best option would be to sell it to someone you know in Florida if you can find a buyer. As noted earlier, I'm in Florida. I have a number of .22 silencers (which are my favorite to shoot).

Is the silencer a take-apart one, so it can be cleaned (I couldn't tell from pictures if it had an end cap to allow removing baffles)? How does it run with subsonic ammo? You can PM me if desired with price. It would transfer directly to someone in Florida with only one $200 transfer tax.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Like people said.. Local sale to someone on a Form 4 is easiest if you don't mind dealing directly

Otherwise it's going to be a Form 4 to a dealer, which takes a few months (much shorter than a regular Form 4 to individual).. then more time for that guy to get it from his dealer.

Note that I'm waiting for a Form 4 from individual to dealer since September. I know an ATF inspector is now looking at it since they contacted us for more information.

Another path is to use a Auction house like RIA or Murphy's.

• 1 month later...

So, the buyer who bought it is a SOT. He sent payment right after the auction ended but has not started paperwork. I’ve reached out to him several times and he says he keeps forgetting to do the paperwork. I guess I keep waiting?

Yep , even though he paid it's not his till the paperwork clears .

I've heard of people who bought something , then changed their mind , and sold it to another who then filed the paperwork to have the original seller transfer it to them .

Chris