Spare Parts Box

QUOTE (AZDoug @ Jun 4 2004, 01:09 AM)

Enjoy, but do not covet, it is a waste of time.

Doug

Holy crap Batman were getting deep here..... So why are we here? Why do we accumulate physical items which we cannot take with us? Why do we bother going out and dump an L drum, when we have but a "The Blink of an Eye" on this piece of dirt we call earth? Shouldn't we be out helping our fellow man? So many wrongs to be righted....

Nahhhhh.... Grab the Thompson and a shitload of ammo, lets go destroy sumptin......http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/violent2.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to wonder about those things too. Life is like an earthworm. Dirt goes in the front end of the tube; it comes out the back; and the hole gets deeper and deeper. Finding "the meaning" is what it's all about.

By the way, if any of you want to shed some of your earthly lucre, send Sgt. all your Thompsons, and don't forget the accessories. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

I know, this has absolutely nothing to do with the spare parts box. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wub.gif

Phil--

When I die, I want my tomb stone to say, "the box is worth more than the contents." Oh, I almost forgot, it needs to be in white letters. Luv-Sgt.

when you guys go,just get creamated,then get loaded into 100 45 casing.and get shot out of a 21 or whatever thompson you like,while they play the marines theme,or any song you desire..................thats the way to go out............wink!!

oh!back to the box!!i heard now there are collectors who just want replica stuff..........even some german collector's................since so much has been replicated in that market....it's almost impossible to tell..............and they had fakes in 1944-45-46.............even france was doing them.

and i did buy two,will fill them up.put them in the case and they will sit,

its the same as putting 10 c-notes{hundred dollar bill}in the case and enjoying it.wink!!!

but it beats spending $4,000.00......{for original}

and remember when these became popular.i did not see my first one till around 1971>way before any book's......on the item's had been published.......

and anybody in thompson world knew what they were.

also the material one's have been faked for years already.........{duH?}so let the colt guys the military guys,and the rest have fun.............as doug said in az.1000 years from now............heck 20 years from now......nobody cares...........

and i will predict 5 years from now.new collectors will be looking for the "gordon box"and will pay $500.00 for one.......if anybody wants to sell them by then..........will i be selling mine? no!!!since i will have that into them just to fill um...................$1,000.00 offer >no way again!

it's something i like....................take care,ron

Ron,

You just cant say off this subject . How come,tell us the truth . There must be a reason [its called I know better Chuck] . Most have never had the chance to own a real one and in my small mind I know you have had the chance to have many to inspect and sell . That is why you must be happy with these new ones. And what ever happened to the Mason City gun is that the one in your other post.

Chuck

QUOTE (Melvin @ Jun 4 2004, 04:10 PM)
Ron,
You just cant say off this subject . How come,tell us the truth . There must be a reason [its called I know better Chuck] . Most have never had the chance to own a real one and in my small mind I know you have had the chance to have many to inspect and sell . That is why you must be happy with these new ones. And what ever happened to the Mason City gun is that the one in your other post.

Chuck

i like to see something that was made in the good ole u.s.a. by migrant chinese workers in san francisco.

i would buy another original,but nobody is selling.........

the mason city gun #8476went to a collector in nebraska,the corn state or wheat or something........and he is happy............

the only one that ticked me off {sale deal}was #98............after he squaked about price,and said remove some item's from the deal,he bought it.......then gave some buffalo story to some other collector's about how much he paid and was selling it for $27,000.00 after it was in his hands..........

and he told me this would be his last thompson ever and keeping it for life...............{give me a freakin break}

so yes "thompson greed" am i jaded chuck??am i sick of all the b.s.going around??am i tired of new guys hearing sob storie's.and tales of whoa!!

a big fat YES!!

so am happy with the two piddly pieces.............i will cry no more forever!! wink!!

funny thing i was going over the pics today.and came across the stuff you bought..........good time's.good memories............thats what makes it worth it........the other's just pass like sand in a hourglass....the day's of our live's................take care,ron

Ron,

I sob every time I look at the price and pictures of #98. Even M.J. said buy it {my wife} and buy the way guys she owens # 3482 she calls it marrige insurance. Are you sure your not a G.H. sales broker .

Has there ever been an issue that has generated this many posts.

CK

i think this is the most posted and read and responded to post ever.............who started it?what was the reason??

did they get a free parts box with candy inside..........will they use this at the next s.a.r.show???

does the n.r.a.museum need one for the display??uummm!!

paul harvey who dat???

wink!!well me all worn out on this issue.........some guy wants info from a roger cox book.and a ole fred rexer catalog..........gotta go help out........take care,ron

p.s. yes chuck keep the wife happy with the colt.......good insurance and peace of mind..........

I suppose if a few of you want to put blame on someone, it should be directed at me. I take full responsibility for my actions. I didn't realize that my initial post regarding Gordons' Box was going to generate more than 2000 views and over 100 responces..It has surprised me, and even though not all agree to the pertinent details surrounding the box, I think the majority of us had debated the issue quite responsibly. And for those that did, I thank you. And Ron, I'm disappointed to say, there was no candy in my Parts Box.

This has nothing to do with the "tin box" itself, but it does relate to the debate about "replica" vs. "counterfeit."

Please view this auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3819531154&rd=1

The license plate you see in the picture was made by me, IT WAS NEVER USED IN ANY MOVIE!!! The place selling it is a well known "prop-house" (a place that sells used movie props.) They know it is not real!

If you have read my "list of interests" under the "members profile," you will notice that I collect license plates that are used in movies and television.

I am lucky enough to own one of the OUTATIME license plates from Back To The Future - The Ride. This is the ride at Universal Studios in Florida. It looks almost identical to the ones used in the movie; they were made by the same prop company.

I have machine that I can mold plastic license plates with. For about a month, I made reproductions and sold them on eBay (for about $25.00 and clearly stated that they were reproductions.) These reproductions were are far cry from being counterfeits, but more and more I began to see my "reproductions" being sold as "authentic." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

It is for this reason, that I quit selling them.

Did I set out to make a counterfeits - NO!, but it seems that is what they have become. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Human nature sucks- some people will do anything they want without regards to others feelings or well being.

This is one reason that we have STUPID GUN LAWS! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Norm

I have thought about this a lot.

To get back to Corvettes, if I saw a need a for resto Corvette part, I would make every effort to make it indistiguishable from the original, so the restorer could have a part on his car that made it perfect.

I would NOT put my name, special markings, or a serial number on it to let futures buyers know it isn't an original part.

Who really F@@king cares if one (or several) part on a car was made in 1965 or not if it completed the car? What about repalcment items, like water pumps, or starters? Does it really matter if the water pump was made in 1965, or if it is an exact duplicate made in 1997 with the correct casting marks??

I think I may try to make 100% indistinguishable Colt actuators... not to rip people off, but to allow Colt owners to have reasonably priced actuators that don't havs AOC, S, or DM stamped on them. It is a replacement part for Gods sake.

I have come to the conclusion that the only people that care about 100% authenticity have a financial stake in the game, hoping to buy today for $$ and sell tomorrow for $$$$.

Doug

I purchased 2 of the boxes from Gordon and am very happy with them. I own one original box and believe that Gordon did a high quality reproduction that is needed by a lot of TSMG collectors. I don't believe it made my original worth less. I can tell the original from the repro, and others will be able to as well. Uninformed collectors may have difficulty, but that is true in just about every field of collecting.

The hub-bub this has generated seems pretty silly to me. As TSMG and class 3 collectors and as gun owners, we have more to worry about than this.

Nice job Gordon and thanks for adding to this interesting hobby.

AZDoug,

After all your ruminating, you still have it backwards. It is those repro parts that are unmarked that enable sellers to pass off these fakes as originals for a considerable profit. Comparing the Bloomington Gold Corvette crowd, with their priapism for realizing Protecto Plate Vettes, to the replication of original Colt TSMG parts, that were not mass produced in Detroit for a decade like these GM parts, is folly. The orignal appeal of the Vette was that one could customize them to suit the owner's personality. Since these cars were initially made for the everyday driving American public, the existance of these clubs that restore Vettes to some simulacrum to the day the car rolled off the assembly line is for the pursuit of the most profligate cretins on the planet. Everything inside the engine block and all the external componets under the hood were replaced when they wore out at some point and to some degree during the life of the car. Some owners replaced the entire block so the numbers would never match the frame. Since the last 20 years that midyear Vettes have been getting big bucks, a market for bogus number stamps, parts, documentation, etc has become a cottage industry. Since TSMG receivers, frames, Blish's, Cutts, levers, Lyman's, etc do not wear out, for the most part, like engine componets and their accessories, there is not a whole lot of simularity to the collector car crowd.

Now you (along with a history of others for the past 40 years), wish to follow suit with the TSMG components. Why? You figure that an owner would appreciate the repro part sans makers mark because that would make the price of the replacement part "reasonable." That is absurd. Parts already exist to get the gun back into action without having to resort to skullduggery to replace the part with a bogus one. If there was a need for a replica part, that part would just as easily serve its function with a makers mark. If it doesn't matter when a part was made for replacement, as you state, then why would you be in favor of not marking it with a production date? It seems to me that you are very much concerned with the idea that somebody can look at a replacement part and know that is is indeed of new manufacture. You're answer to that annoying fact is to blur the line between original and replica completely. It is not about "100% authenticity," as you put it, but rather being a conscientious participant in a collector field.