Buffer For Tsmg

PK here on the boards sells a buffer of his own design for the 1928's. I have one in my West Hurley. It has all the right stuff in terms of hardness, etc. See the FAQ for the contact info. Also, make sure your buffer pilot is GI (check for the proper marking). If not, replace it!

Doug Richardson has a system that I like. The pilot is a little different and it works with a buffer piece that fits the back of the receiver perfectly and spans the entire rear. As such, the bolt hits a large piece of urethane with its own large surface and the force is spread over an area considerably larger than that of the round fiber washer. Unlike some of the Gunmachines "tricks" that can cause gun damage, had this material technolody been in place in the 1920'a, this may well have been the original buffer design. Just my $.20. YMMV.

Made one for my '28 Bridgeport.

I have a piece of white nylon (very similar to a high-durometer urethane, but maybe a bit more rugged??) about 1/16 inch thick. I cut a hole in the nylon so it would JUST fit snugly over the pilot, slid it on and traced around it (circle with the flat side). Then I cut it out, installed it with the spring against the nylon (as opposed to "inside the cutout") and tried it out.

Basically all it does is prevents the bolt and/or actuator from contacting the pilot, metal to metal. The red fiber washer is still in place on the backside of the pilot......I'm only tightening up the guns works by 1/16 inch.

I currently have over 5 thousand rounds through my Bridgeport with it installed. It has flattened out a tiny bit, but no damage to the gun or parts whatsoever. No change in RPM or function, no change in reliability.

I may never need to use the three spares I have in my parts bag.....

john