Thompson Home W/ Surprise

Got the Mobile PD 1928 home this weekend. Still looking it over and taking it apart. All matching numbers. No significant other markings on the gun, some stampings around the barrel. Noticed that the roll stamps on the right side of the receiver are lighter on top than the bottom. Common?

Opened the trapdoor in the butt stock, and much to my surprise, out came a crinkle-finished oil can!!!!

Examiners were good to me this week. Four guns cleared, the Thompson, an MP-5, an American 180, and an M-16 receiver. Less than 60 days from going pending. Thanks Ms. Savage and Alma McCoy, Mark Scott in Chattanooga too.

American 180 is a hoot!!! If you dont have one, you need one.

I'll get a picture or two up later.

Ken

History search is in the works. Surely there has to be some gray haired Major hanging around that knows something.

The Mobile PD must have done some odd things with thier Thompsons. I had a Savage 28A1 that I got direct from them in the 80's. The metal was in nice shape but the wood was painted with a bright red enamel. I bought a new set of wood for it(about $25 then) and cleaned the old wood a few months later. A beautiful grained walnut was under all of that crap so I changed it out again and it has the original wood on it today.

QUOTE (TNKen @ May 10 2004, 07:46 AM)
Noticed that the roll stamps on the right side of the receiver are lighter on top than the bottom. Common?

If it is what I am thinking, any chance of it being refinished?

Usually that is one way to tell if an item is reblued as the lettering is not a crisp and deep as others.

Also, adding up the value of those items comes to a pretty penny to be bought at once. Do you happen to be the person who won the PowerBall the other month were you? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

I wish, I did pick up a ticket on the way to Mark Scott's place. Thought if 4 transfers could come together in a week, my luck might be good. Not.

Did some trading for the MP-5. Got the 1928 courtesy of Mark Scott and a deal we did together on an estate of about 40 MG's. Took the gun in lieu of cash. One of the sons kept a LNIB 1921, with drums, sticks and matching hard case. Picked up the American 1890 and receiver from a local estate at a price I couldn't pass up.

About 2 years worth of wheeling and dealing happened all at once.

Ken

Nope, the Stoners went away for cash and two guns in trade, an M249 Minimi, and an American 180. We shot the 63A in its beltfed setup, and it was sweet. My dad didn't want to shoot it, and I made him. Told him it might be his only chance to ever shoot a $100,000 gun (just a little stretch).

Minimi went away for cash and an MP40 and Ingram Modle 6. The only guns left are the MP40, an AC556 Jim kept, the Thompson I have and the Colt registered MG42 Mark kept (he and I have traded on it and if all goes well, it comes home one day).

Ken