Traveling To See Colt 1921/28 Navy Thompson

I'm about to make another step in the process to acquire my first Thompson. Based on advise from Arthur and others, I plan to fly over to view the gun, which is supposed to be original, not refinished and in excellent condition. I have already traded about thirty emails, received ten email photos, etc.

I realize how important it is that the part numbers on the gun match the number on the receiver, and if one or more part numbers don't match the value of the gun will be negatively affected. My question is:

Can someone provide me with info on which parts should have a part number that matches the receiver number?

Considering the money involved, I sure want to get this right and any assistance to loyal, but "green" Thompson fan will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Hi,

The only other part number on a Colt Thompson that matches the receiver is the grip frame. That number is in the same location as military 1928A1 Thompsons. It is situated between the rear grip and the frame latch recess on the bottom of the grip frame. It is partially hidden when the butt stock is in place.

There is a hidden number in the slot where the grip mount fits, but that number is the same as the receiver number. The barrel has to be removed to view that one so you obviously are not going to be able to view it.

The butt stocks on Colt guns have a number stamped in the wood under the butt plate and the inside of the butt plate itself. These number should match, of course, but the stocks were not numbered to match the serial numbers of the guns. They were numbered to match the butt plate to the individual stock after the metal parts were finished.

Good luck on your journey to view the gun.

jay e-mail me and i will tell you what to look for from stem to stern...{NOT HOWARD}after you are finished with me,i guarantee.you won't be taken to the cleaners.i had thee best grading in the marketplace on colt's.............

thats if you really want the advice if not,have fun good luck................happy trail's........take care,ron colt 21a

GI,

Thanks for the numbers info. I'll include it in my "to do" list.

Arthur,

I'll have another look-see at those photos. A two-piece nickel actuator. I can tell I need to go back to those books again before I go check out the '28 Navy. This board has helped me in my search for Thompson-related information, and I'm grateful (especially when mistakes can be costly these days).

Saturday I was fortunate to have a South Texas Class III dealer invite me to Seguin to take a look at his latest acquisition (I think he's going to keep this one), a great-looking '28 Navy. He was aware that I'm working my way in the direction of purchasing a similar Thompson out-of-state, so he invited me to fire his gun, then he broke it down and told me about the different parts AND THE NUMBERING. I planned to take notes, but that all changed when I saw the '28 Navy. Then when the gun was in parts I really began to appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making these wonderful old guns. My potential transfer dealer (if I make a deal) was pretty considerate and I'm impressed.

Thanks again for the advise, Guys. I'll keep you posted. It's my understanding there's supposed to be a seven-month wait before I get the gun even if I do buy it (3 months for the out-of state- Form 4, 1 month for the Form 3, and 3 months for my Form 4). Man, I don't think I'm cut out for these kinds of transactions on a regular basis--I guess it's good that I'm not rich!

Jay

Arthur,

You are reading my mind! A couple of days back I printed the ATF 7CR (5310.16) form, Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) and ATF F5330.20, Certificate of Compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif.

Do you have any idea how long it will take for an ATF approval of a C & R license?

Jay