Lyman Sight Question

I purchased a lyman adj rear sight from IMA. The slide seems loose to me, and it angles slightly from left down towards the right. I tried tightening the small screw on the left side, all it seems to do is make it harder to left the elevation of the sight and doesn't really affect the angle/droop. Should the slide wobble left/right or is there something wrong with my sight?

There is a small piece of spring steel with a steel projection that is screwed onto the left side of the sight slide. It steadies the movable slide and holds the part in place along the leaf track. Often the steel "tit" breaks off and causes the condition you describe. I got a new part from Joe Manaza of Keystone Arms about 6 years ago for $25. I don't know if he still has them should that turn out to be your problem. The part is listed in my drawing as "Catch Assembly B147688"

Bob D

Bob D,...I need that exact part also ..do happen to have the contact info?...TIA

Thanks, I think I will try ordering that part too.

I think I need to take the sight completely apart to clean the cosmolene out of the small crevices.

How does one take the slide off the leaf? There is a small pin at the top of leaf that keeps it on. Does that pin need to come out? Or do I need to take the leaf out of the sight base? Also, how does one remove the windage screw?

QUOTE (machine2k @ Jul 8 2005, 02:13 AM)
I think I need to take the sight completely apart to clean the cosmolene out of the small crevices.
How does one take the slide off the leaf? There is a small pin at the top of leaf that keeps it on. Does that pin need to come out? Or do I need to take the leaf out of the sight base? Also, how does one remove the windage screw?

There are reprints of WWII Shop Manuals that describe how to remove the sight components. I would suggest getting one before you attempt to disassemble the sight. You will need a very small punch to remove the pin on the collar that secures the windage screw. I don't know if I would attempt this unless you are a pretty competent gunsmith. The leaf spring catch shouldn't be that difficult to replace.

As far as the cosmolene in the crevices, a tooth brush soaked in solvent does the job pretty well. Good luck.