From what I have read in a little over a week it will be illegal to possess a bump stock, Now I do not own a bump stock, never have owned a bump stock, nor desire to own a bump stock. That said, I wonder why the BATFE does not make bump stocks an NFA item subject to ownership with the proper federal paperwork and fees as they do with machine guns, SBR's and suppressors?

To have to destroy or surrender them seems odd when there are other options that would allow those who own them to keep them ... Any thoughts?

From what I have read in a little over a week it will be illegal to possess a bump stock, Now I do not own a bump stock, never have owned a bump stock, nor desire to own a bump stock. That said, I wonder why the BATFE does not make bump stocks an NFA item subject to ownership with the proper federal paperwork and fees as they do with machine guns, SBR's and suppressors?

To have to destroy or surrender them seems odd when there are other options that would allow those who own them to keep them ... Any thoughts?

Very simple. Because crazy people are not allowed to own guns, much less NFA. Anybody who would go through the cost and time and effort, NFA process to get a bump stock, is crazy.

Eric

It is no longer legal to register an “MG” for private possession, a law that took effect May 19, 1986. ATF determined that the bump stocks are an “MG” conversion device or an “MG” and as such it cannot be legally registered. This is entirely poitical and the effort to criminalize possession of all sorts of devices that accelerate the rate of fire in any way, according to their broad definition, has been on the backburner for years. There is no clear evidence that the bumpsfocks were used in Vegas, but only that they were present. Anyone who knows anything about the rifles used know that an AR or AK by itself would have accounted for far more kills than any bumstock over the time of the event. We have been deceived and hoodwinked by some collection of polifical operatives with an effective anti-gun agenda with the cooperation of the PD and FBI. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would like to see it.

Trump has taken the bait and supports this idiotic ATF agenda so I am done with him.

Trump can redeem himself with the appointment of another 2nd Amendment proponent to the supreme court.

No politician can be trusted, ever. Vermont reelected a republican governor with the heavy support of the gun voters and then he turned on us to cast a vote for mag capacity limits because he "felt" it was the right thing to do. No concern for his loyal gun constituency, no empirical basis for it's need, no explanation of methods of enforcement, no sunset, no clearly needed exemptions, just a last minute suck up to the goober progs. No doubt a rigged vote due to the anti gun legislators having counted their votes and found them lacking for passage of the bill. It passed by only one vote.

The precedent of redefining the federal law outside of the congressional process on the fundamental and simple current definition of what constitutes full-auto fire is extremely dangerous for so many reasons.

Bob,

If you are done with Trump who are you going to support in the next election?? Perhaps AOC??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim C

Probably going for the hometown guy......the Bern LOL

The main reason Trump got elected is because he is not a politician.

TSMGuy Binary triggers based on what I see are already not legal based on their design and mechanics. Shhh!

If you are a small business person and have a clue as to new tax policies enacted for last year (2018) Trump and the republicans significantly cut your rates and lowered your bill. Utilizing the new qualified business income deduction and increased standard deduction reduced my tax bill enough to pay cash for another transferable MG! I knew there were cuts, but had no idea they amounted to this much. 90% of this was Trump! Republicans are complete morons for not broadcasting what a HUGE cut this will be for many people and thus lost on incompetence.

Not happy about the bump stock thing but I assume it was intentionally draconian so as to be easily overturned, which I believe it will be......but Vermont will still have Bernie and a mag ban after the dust clears (no smoke with only 10 rounds). :)

It is no longer legal to register an “MG” for private possession, a law that took effect May 19, 1986. ATF determined that the bump stocks are an “MG” conversion device or an “MG” and as such it cannot be legally registered. This is entirely poitical and the effort to criminalize possession of all sorts of devices that accelerate the rate of fire in any way, according to their broad definition, has been on the backburner for years. There is no clear evidence that the bumpsfocks were used in Vegas, but only that they were present. Anyone who knows anything about the rifles used know that an AR or AK by itself would have accounted for far more kills than any bumstock over the time of the event. We have been deceived and hoodwinked by some collection of polifical operatives with an effective anti-gun agenda with the cooperation of the PD and FBI. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I would like to see it.

Trump has taken the bait and supports this idiotic ATF agenda so I am done with him.

dunno

Following that logic plenty of other things are NFA too right ?

How about Open Bolt semi autos the bureau "grandfathered" ?

now someone is bound to bring up the situation with pre November 1981 AR15 drop in auto sears

Well Treasury grandfathered those then in two District Courts DOJ argued Treasury didn't have authority, only Congress did.

Today most folks think there is no such animal as a "pre-ban" DIAS anymore

nope...just in two Districts

Now before anyone goes too far out on a limb and states Open Bolt semis are a potential issue due to the DIAS nonsense you best get pragmatic in your thinking

What you would be actually stating is EVERYTHING that the bureau has removed from NFA regulation is in the same boat

Stocked C96 Mausers for example

The key thing to look at in all this is it wasn't ATFE who came up with this bit of craptastic reasoning

Trump told Sessions to figure it out and DOJ itself came up with it.

My primary problem with it all is that as written Sessions seems to have just flat prohibited them

I don't really see where even a SOT can possess them

This seems obvious when you consider there is no provision for registration of the enumerated devices

They are simply Verbotten

This is what happens when career DOJ bureaucrats butt into ATFE business & we can thank that idiot GW for all that.

Had ATFE been majorly involved they likely would have grandfathered them up just like they have mostly done with things in the past

Same if the prohibition had been enacted in Congress

This is one damn awful can of worms that has potential to utterly change things if allowed to stand

Here's a decent piece on the real root of the problems in a Forbes article

it's well worth a read:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markchenoweth/2019/03/01/bump-stock-rule-puts-constitution-in-the-crosshairs/#20c463ab7f1b