Couple of Colt's at Auction

All but two Morphy's are stated as refinished, sadly including 124.

1263/64 pair stated as original metal finish, but looks to me like pitting under blue, with differences between upper and lower patinas.

In case anyone doesn't know, James A. Julia has been "morphed" ;) into Morphy's

Edited by mnshooter

There are one or two weapons that are "OK" but it looks like most are junkers. If you could pick them off for the opening bid or close to it, a few might make good shooters. I would guess the 28A1 #S368549 to be a re-watt, maybe a reweld. M1 #824 has a finned barrel. Looks like a parts gun by Ulrich. M1A1 #585814 doesn't look quite right. Looks at the area in the 3rd pic, just below GEG stamp and ejector. Looks a little jagged or crooked to me. Maybe I have been doing this too long and I am always a little suspicious of auction stuff. Ouch! That 28% buyer premium is a little stout.

Yea verily to all. Geez 28%? 8 must be their arbitrary new magic number?? Anyway, sure makes for interesting reading and following. M1 with a finned bbl., whatever parts were on hand that day at the shop.

Thanks for the post.

Who would list their items for sale there knowing the buyers will be reluctant to bid when the premium is 28% !!!!

Pure greed IMO.

Possibly the seller pays zip and the auction company sucks it all out of the (Supposedly stupid) buyer. Hint; People dropping + or - 30 grand on toys aren't stupid or else they wouldnt have 30 grand to spend on toys.

I watch many of the auctions and just dropped 5K on Rock Island's today for 3 non-nfa items. They are fairly steep on their premiums as well but it it were 28% they would have sold zip to me.

I followed Julia's.

Morphy made little to no effort in telling me about tomorrow's auctions.

And who the hell does an auction Monday morning ?

Exactly where is their "service" for demanding 28% ?

I'm off tomorrow and will watch the train wreck.

If they have scared everyone off I may pick up some bargains.

Edited by lightguy

PS Julia's used to send coffee table quality catalogs for their auctions.

Bought a bunch there.

Morphy's didn't even send a Rock Island quality cheapo for this one.

OK..OK ..I'm done ranting ;)

I got a hard bound catalog (book) in the mail from Morphys for this auction. Many fools part with their money as previously evidenced with folks forking $30k for West Hurleys or $50-60k for Colts with swapped parts at the big auction houses. Previous silly prices posted in older posts. Lets see what surprises this one brings.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Not sure where 28% buyers premium was seen, but this is a direct screen shot of the FAQ for bidding.

20%attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 8.40.24 PM.png

The 20% is if paid by cash, plus 3% if using a credit card, and if you bid using proxibid another 3% is added for a total of 26% premium added to the final bid.

Looks like Proxibid wants 28%, they get you for 5% and CC fee of 3% automatically when you use them.

So Sig is correct, the BP from Morphy is 20%, I am phone bidding so that is what expect to pay (LOL, assuming my snowball's chance of a bid wins!)

Quite interesting, I did not get a call from John or a catalog either? Through the years I've spent at least 70K there, I guess that's chump change today? I don't think the transition is going all that well? Fortunately I didn't see anything that I can't live without and the prices look to be right up there in the bubble zone so it's all good.

I predict the refinished guns will bring top dollar. Times have changed.

Not sure where 28% buyers premium was seen, but this is a direct screen shot of the FAQ for bidding.

20%attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 8.40.24 PM.png

Look just below the price on the 21 I linked to.

STARTING BID$18,000.00
BUYER'S PREMIUM
  • 28%

At NRA 2018, I talked for quite a while to several of the helpful people at the always excellent Rock Island Auction exhibit.

Also talked very briefly to the person at the Morphy booth, then went back to Rock Island, to view more of their rare auction items.

Double spacing above might make it only slightly easier to read between the lines.

One interesting point: Both companies require any privately owned NFA items to be form 4'd to them prior to listing for auction.

Edited by mnshooter

Selling prices. I thought the damn auction was at 10 and missed their call at 9:30!!!

So whomever bought lot #33, the accessories, please PM me!

-edited PDF to make it a more readable file.

morphy final.pdf

Edited by giantpanda4

Interesting to note, every item listed above sold to "onsite", which means they could be a phone bidder or on the floor. And the internet bidding companies did not get anything...

$27.5 K hammer price

Sorry first draft of PDF was unreadable, corrected it and reposted above.

Edited by giantpanda4

Here are the Thompson results incl 20% Bidder premiums

1921 ser 1263 $37,200

1921 ser 1264 $40,800

1921 se 2859 $43,800

1921 ser 128 35,400 incl c drom and 2 L drums

1921/8 ser 13671 $ 30,600

AO M1A1 SER 585814 $25,000

AO M1 SER 824 $26,400

Savage 1928a1 s368549 $19,200

WH 1928 $20,400

It is interesting to me that the BP @ Morphy's is 20%, where it was 15% at James Julia. Just checked Rock Island and they are also 15%. All numbers are BP for cash.

It would seem to me for a delta of 5% sellers would gravitate towards other auction houses.

No idea.

You can login to their website to find out.

That low sn reblued Thompson sold cheap. 27,500 x 1.28%

I was called away.

Just looked up that M60;

54,000 x 1.20 or (1.28)

They were 35K not too long ago on gunbroker.

They didn't return my requests for info on anything.

Neither did they call me back for phone bidding as requested.

Tell me again exactly how the earn their 28% commision ? ;)

Edited by lightguy