Interesting Story on this one - #1277

All,

Gordon Herigstad's, 6th Edition Colt Serial numbers book tells a different story:

1277 1921A Emmons-Hawkins Hardware Company, Huntington, West Virginia (1 of 19)

(1 of 6 Shipped 8/31/21) [1277, 1314, 1341, 1349, 1435, 1442]

Sold to Beckley, West Virginia, Police Department

So the gun was a police gun, not a bank robbers gun. The gun gets registered at some point and someone from the police department gets it as a gift or takes it home as a souvenir. Maybe the retired officer that originally took it home was told by the "old timers" that is was used in a bank robbery. It may have been taken out on a bank robbery in the 1950's, that wouldn't have been uncommon. Yes, Atllaw, some agencies still did use the Thompson in the 1950's, some until the 1960's and 1970's. Over the years the department "lore" gets embellished and they were all either owned by a gangster or bank robbers.

On the plus side, I have seen a similar compensator (home-made job) on a local police gun. It could be easily removed, it is just press-fitted over the cross-pin of the front sight and could be converted back to the original 1921A configuration. That said, it is still over-priced at $50,000.00 in my opinion. If someone could get it at the right price it would clean up nicely and be a good looking police gun with honest wear.

"Buy the gun.........well, you know the rest of the quote"

• Upvote 1

The numbered drum adds to the value of the package

Yes, I agree. The drum could be repaired as well, but I still don't believe the package is worth $50,000.00. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think. Guys with money and new to the Thompson game think all Colts are worth $50,000.00. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll pay that for it. $50,000.00 should bring you a showpiece Colt Thompson with a clean, functioning numbered drum.

Very interesting. I did notice the compensator looked odd. Seems like a lot of work when they could have just purchased the real thing. Do you think the gun has been refinished?

Atllaw,

Actually, when the gun was sold the compensator was not an option offered on the Thompson Submachine Gun. The compensator wasn't marketed until around 1927, so at the time they ordered the six guns shipped to the Beckley, West Virginia, Police Department, the compensator wasn't available. It is hard to tell from the photos if the gun has been refinished or not, for that kind of money it should be examined in person. My tendency would be to say no, it hasn't been refinished, based on the scratches that break the surface of the bluing.

If I am not mistaken, I believe NO 1277 is sporting one of the infamous J. Curtis Earl "First Model" compensators. I have not seen one of these fake compensators in a long time. I am too busy right now to get out one of my old J. Curtis Earl catalogs and compare. Or research past threads on the Board. Perhaps Arthur will chime in. He is very informative of Earl's dealings in the Thompson community.

The internals of the lower seem too dark - maybe parkerized or just a bad pic?

Today's market may get the asking $50K. With the drum, (Drum without key market has to be somewhat less than the $4.5K, as Haris just sold one with the key for that). But, I cannot say it is worth that much to me anyway. Case is cool too. But is the gun alone (with just the story thrown in!) worth about $45K today?

Either way, GO TO the seller and SEE the gun. You would for a new car? Or a cottage? Same $$$....

If I am not mistaken, I believe NO 1277 is sporting one of the infamous J. Curtis Earl "First Model" compensators. I have not seen one of these fake compensators in a long time. I am too busy right now to get out one of my old J. Curtis Earl catalogs and compare. Or research past threads on the Board. Perhaps Arthur will chime in. He is very informative of Earl's dealings in the Thompson community.

Had the same thought. This mysterious supposed Cutts invented 4th pattern comp (that JCE had actually produced) fitted over the muzzle being held in place by a longer cross pin through the existing sight. The actual sighting of this sight would make Skuly & Mulder proud. If the next owner of #1277 does a FOIA they might discover that this TSMG did pass through JCE's hands. For some reason many of the West Virginia State Police and local WVPD's Colt TSMGs wound up in the JCE collection.