M3 9mm swap using mix of Guide and IO parts :(

I thought I would try switching over to 9mm today. I have an original Guide Lamp 9mm bolt and magwell insert along with an Indy Ordnance 9mm barrel assembly.

It did not work. Way too much headspace with this combo. Here's a short video showing the excessive space issue:

It appears that the barrel is just pressed into the trunnion (I see no pins or weld beads), so possibly I can take some measurements and have the barrel pressed farther into the trunnion to correct the issue?

Does that seem like a practical fix?

John

Poor Cust Service.....I e mailed them.last week ...i called them........They never called back, but did send an e mail

here it is verbatim

First my e mail to them

I would buy the kit or all the parts from you that will
convert my grease gun to 9mm
Can you call me at xxx xxx xxxx or e mail me what all i need and how much$$$
thanks
their response

You can see what we have and order from this page https://indianapolisordnance.com/other.html#GG

Then I sent another message that went unanswerd

Do you have everything I need in order to shoot 9mm oput of a grease gun?

please answer that

At this point I am giving up

The only credit I can give them is that they are at least offering something. There's no excuse though for poor customer service like that.

I think I can have my machinist buddy take some measurements and press this barrel further into the trunnion to the correct distance and make it work properly. Maybe even tack it in place after functional testing.

John

I purchased the barrel about a year and a half ago directly from IO. I don't know for sure when it was made or if they have made improvements since then.

It was in stock when I bought it, so it could be from and old batch, just no way to know.

John

Ok, I had my prototype guy take some measurements and press the barrel in approximately 1/4".

The gun ran about 13 rounds thru and then one kinda stovepiped. I cleared the jam and it ran the rest of the 20 rounds out ok.

So it sorta works now! It never jams or misses on .45, but I only have this one old dirty Sten mag, so who knows? I have some Tapco mags coming to try out.

I believe the primer hits are way too heavy, so I'm going to have him back the barrel out .020" or so, until the primer hits look normal. Here's a picture of some of the spent brass, compared to one handgun fired round for comparison.

M3%209mm%20primer%20hits.jpg

I think once we get it dialed in he will tack the barrel to the trunnion so it stays put.

I'm excited. I hope the new mags take care of the feed problem.

I realize I shouldn't have to do any of this, but until a Guide 9mm barrel comes my way, I think this will be the next best way to do it for me.

John.

I purchased the barrel about a year and a half ago directly from IO. I don't know for sure when it was made or if they have made improvements since then.

It was in stock when I bought it, so it could be from and old batch, just no way to know.

John

That is too bad.

Has anyone here had success with the M3 parts from IO?

I am interested in a 9mm conversion, but do not want to buy parts that may not function.

I had issues with the ejector in the bolt, but no issues with the barrel. I did rework the mag adaptor, all of which I detailed in the thread a while back. I also bought the parts when they came out a couple years ago. I have no idea if they've rectified the issues?

Very sorry to hear that Ind Ord. is not even responding to customers or potential customers communications. I would pay their price for the 9mm conversion pieces if they actually worked but it sounds as though they are not interested in helping their customers or making the product right to begin with. I will not do business with them until they rectify this.

MH

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 3 Tapco mags to try out instead of the Sten mag I originally had. The Tapco mags work great! I usually run my 30 round mags with 25 rounds in them so it's 2 mags per box of ammo. I found I could get 35 rounds in the Tapco magazine, but then the bolt had trouble picking up the top rounds and chambering them. It looks like they are reliable up to around 28-29 rounds with the Grease Gun. After that there seems to be too much pressure from the magazine spring to strip the rounds off.

Here's 3 mags worth so you can see how it functions:

I'm really happy with the function of the gun now with the Tapco mags! No more Stens for me. :) Now I'll have the barrel tack welded to the barrel nut so it stays put and then sandblast it and try to match the finish to the gun. I bought some Brownells Gun-Kote to try. I don't know anything about parkerizing or any of that stuff, so hopefully the Gun-Kote turns out decent.

John

Edited by John in IN

I went ahead and finished up the barrel so I could call it done.

Had it welded in the correct location:

M3%209mm%20Barrel%20mods%201.jpg

Then had it bead blasted to prep it for Brownells Gun Kote:

M3%209mm%20Barrel%20mods%203.jpg

Set it up in my little quickie paint stand :)

M3%209mm%20Barrel%20mods%204.jpg

Sprayed it; followed by a 1 hour oven bake at 325F:

M3%209mm%20Barrel%20mods%206.jpg

Finished! It's a slightly different shade than the gun, and a bit more sheen to it, but all and all it looks good when assembled.

M3%209mm%20Barrel%20mods%208.jpg

Yes, the barrel required a little work to get it operating, but it's done and works great now. It's a fun gun to shoot in either caliber! I have the 9mm bolt on its own driving spring/rod assembly so it's quick and easy to switch from 9mm to .45.

John