I Am A Newbie

I have WH about 1000 lower in serial than this one. It is in about 90% condition and I honestly think it to be worth about $650-700 (without accesories).

I will not even try to price the drum mag for fear of the wrath it will bring from the 'Drum Gods'! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

No, the only time the bolt should hold open is with an EMPTY STICK mag in place. Or you can manualy engage this feature without a mag by holding the small tab at the rear of the mag well (the name escapes me) up while pulling the bolt to the rear (until it locks back)

Hi Big John. Welcome to the forum. Don't make it your last post!

Pathfinder is correct. The main difference is because full automatics fire from an open bolt and the semi's fire from a closed bolt. The bolt "hold open" is when the trip is activated when the follower of a stick mag reaches the top of its travel when emptied. Also for semis there is a modification to make the semi bolt hold open via our resident Thompsonsmith, PK. I was told that "no semi owner should not have this modification" by the man himself. Drums don't have a vertical follower, so the actuator and bolt will be shut upon firing and charging a round in a semi.

I believe this open versus closed change with 1927 (semi) to 1928 (full) was due to the ATF telling Ira Trast that his first design semi's were too easily converted to full automatic so the design moved to a closed bolt and different receiver. This was so no one could not make an illegal machine gun against the 1934 NFA act with surplus FA parts.

Semi WH's are probably in the range of about $700 due to the fact they are plentiful. A WH L-drum would probably go for about $125-175 used (consider a new one from Kahr can be purchased for about double that) and 30 round sticks are cheap (no more than $15 used and in good shape).

Good luck and I hope your uncle decides to purchase. Semi or Full, WH or otherwise, Thompsons are a fun shoot and interesting to talk about. You can also (if your state allows) put a short barrel on it so it looks like a full automatic. This requires local and federal approval, plus $200 and gunsmith fees t but the whole process is pretty easy. I personally have done this on one of my semi's because I just hate the look of the 16.5" barrel.

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris

Nice to see some new folks on the boards. Seems that as the prices go up even higher, less new folks are getting into Thompsons.....anyone else see this?? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

ANyway, welcome! Many very VERY Knowledgeable people here who can answer any and all of your questions. Stick around....we have fun, too!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif