Photo - Early Soviet with Thompson

When I see a photo like this I wonder how the gun found its way from Auto-Ordnance

To Russia. I don't think it was a direct sale. Who was it originally sold to? What did they

do with it that it ended up in Russia? We'll never know but it's fascinating to think about.

Bob

Ah.....if he is looking through the peep sight with the peep fully elevated, why is the barrel still horizontal?

The barrel appears more or less horizontal because of the angle that the photographer took the picture. Using the seam between boards in the wall as a probably true horizontal and the upright wall seam as true vertical, the barrel is raised somewhat at the front, admittedly, not as much as it should be. Sort of like photos of buildings in San Francisco where the photographer uses the sidewalk as the horizontal reference plane, but less dramatic. It's hard to say what was really going on in a likely staged photo op.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

When I see a photo like this I wonder how the gun found its way from Auto-Ordnance

To Russia. I don't think it was a direct sale. Who was it originally sold to? What did they

do with it that it ended up in Russia? We'll never know but it's fascinating to think about.

Bob

Lend-Lease

Photo predates Lend Lease by a number of years.

• 3 years later...

Bob

Bob,

Perhaps this is the answer:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23970

Then again, maybe not.

Stay safe

Richard