Old Ammo 43

I have 3 rounds my Dad picked out of a trash can when he left USMC as he was discharged right after WWII. This along with my 8X10 avatar among a lot of other pics and odds and ends ammo as he left the base. I am sure someone out there can tell me the maker of these. MG 43 45 IZ pic is not real clear sorry

Thanks in advance

IMG_1844.jpg

The ammo is WWII Australian. The MG code denotes manufacture at the Small Arms Ammunition Factory #2, Foolscray, Australia. 43 is of course the year, 1943. The 1 means Mark 1, the first ammo model or type standardized for production. The Z denotes loose nitrocellulose powder rather than cordite. The Australians used the Thompson SMG extensively, so it fits that Australian-made ammo for them would have found its way into the hands of US Marines who had served in the Pacific. Nice to have had these in your family for so long!

Edited by TSMGguy

Thanks for the info on the 45s reason I kept these as I knew as a kid one day I would get a Thompson.

As the story goes....

My Dad left Quantico with a Garand full clip, some 45ACP, 6.5 &7.7 Jap Ammo on stripper clips and a large group of USMC combat area pics of the Marines on South Pacifics islands 1943 & 1944 as he said he wanted some souvenirs and the base building was tossing out stuff as he told me.

While you're id ing ammo I was given these steel cased .45s recently. Some are head-stamped EC 43 and some say ECS 43. What would be a good way to clean them up and preserve them?

post-259674-0-97623400-1555277379_thumb.jpeg

post-259674-0-33089600-1555277715_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

While you're id ing ammo I was given these steel cased .45s recently. Some are head-stamped EC 43 and some say ECS 43. What would be a good way to clean them up and preserve them?

This ammo was made at the US Army's Evansville, Indiana ammunition plant in 1943 and '45. The plant was being run by Chrysler at the time. As you can tell, it has steel cases. It was used mostly for training stateside. The ball ammo issued for combat had brass cases and clean burning smokeless powder. As far as care goes, I'd just store it in the same temperature and humidity controlled environment that you use for guns.

Evansville rounds made in 1944 have just a single 4 on the case because Chrysler didn't bother to make a die to stamp the second 4. This ammunition was produced up to the early 1950s.

Edited by TSMGguy

Vettom,

Could you please post a photo of the profile of the Australian cartridge? (Full side view)

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

ECS 43 indicates manufacture at the Evansville Ordnance Plant, Sunbeam Division 1943.