M3 Finish Issues

I will send you pictures of the finished product once it warms up as my heater is out in my machine shop so its too damn cold to paint. Notice how your not able to tell the original bar was removed? I tried to make sure that the welds would blend in to the old ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course we all have our opinions but if you parkerize a British era M3 you are

Immediately changing it from original as these guns were not parkerized. They were

painted. I have one and when I got it there were several shiny spots where the paint

had been damaged and the underlying steel was a raw, shiny silver color.

If it was me I would gently remove the glue with acetone or a similar solvent and

With very fine steel wool remove the excess paint. There is no reason to sandblast

a gun like this any more than you would sandblast a M1921 Colt. When you get most

of the excess paint off you've done no damage (sandblast) and you can re-evaluate

when you see what you've got. And yes, leave the bar over the mag catch.

Bob

Bob,

The more I look at the gun, especially the inside, the more I believe it was factory finished with paint rather than parkreized with subsequent paint over the park. If it had been parked prior to painting, there would or should be areas where the paint was worn but the park remains. Of those, I can find none.

Dan

• 2 years later...