M3 Purchase Almost Went Sour

Luckily everything is going to work out now, due to some "divine intervention" from one helluva gun loving guy!

I purchased M3 in March from gun shop in Oklahoma. Everything seemed ok; they sell a lot of stuff on GB, been in business for 15 years or so, so I though it would be good.

After giving me a few (very few) updates, all of the sudden all communication stopped in July. I sent an occasional email and left a few phone messages but none were answered. The guy was a poor communicator anyway, so I wasn't too shook up by lack of responses, plus I was very busy too, so time kinda slipped buy. Finally with no responses I got worried. I talked to one lawyer and made a post on a forum about it. Out of the clear blue I get an email late one night from a guy who said to give him a call as he was in Tulsa on business and he might be able to help.

We talked for quite a while, I forwarded him all of my info, and the next day he called me from the gun shop and said he was holding my grease gun as we speak. Whew!! I've never felt so relieved. I spoke with the shop manager and he said he had no idea the gun was sold and was still in inventory. The owner had simply cashed my check and took the money! He had no intention of transferring the gun to me. I am lucky the gun didn't sell over those months or it would have gone to other guy and I would have nothing.

I had earlier gotten the bank to track down the back side of the cashiers check, so I had proof he had cashed it.

ANYWAY, all is good now; the gun is now at MY dealer, and I've gotten to handle and fondle it! NFA cashed my check on 1/30/18 and the countdown begins! I probably would have had the gun by now had the first part gone as it should have, but I'm thankful I will have it eventually!!

For a guy that I don't know at all to come out of nowhere and offer to help me on this was really incredible. He knows this scumbag and knows how he operates. I don't think he expected to find my gun at the shop either, and had told me he knew a couple of lawyers in the area that would be happy to go after this guy for me.

This shows BOTH, how bad people can be in the gun industry when dealing with such a large amount of money, and how GOOD people can be in this industry too!

I can't wait to have it in my hands!

John

May we know the name of the seller/collector so that we can put him on our warning list. You are very fortunate a good soul helped you out. Do you feel the gun store did enough? It almost sounds as if they were complacent in what was happening?

It was L&L Machineguns in Tulsa. According to my contact the shop manager is good as gold and had no idea this happened. He submitted the Form 3 that same day. It is my understanding that there are many other issues going on there with the owner, but I don't know any of the details. My contact felt I was lucky to be getting the gun. I think he was surprised to find it in inventory when he went there.

Credit cards are a great safety feature but many in this business won't take them. I am glad it worked out this way of course. Much better than a big legal endeavor. Plus, these don't come along very often like M16s, etc.

It's a low serial number gun with the "Guide" stamped down low instead of partially hidden by the magazine release. That had a special meaning to me.

John

Recently made another large purchase and decided to spend an extra 2k to get the same item from Frank of MWT instead of rolling the dice with someone else. Had issues like yours when going for a MAC 10. Was told it would take 2 weeks for a paper form 3. 4 months later arrived at my SOT on a form 4. They had a good rating too, wont be doing business with them any more.

I'm in Anderson, the HOME of the Grease Gun! Thanks so much for the offer! I'll see how things go, that sounds like fun! I have a Colt M16 but have never shot a greaser.

Thanks, John

One bit of advice, do not shoot hot ammunition in it. Doing so can cause the spring guide to beat the rear of the receiver out of shape and eventually cause cracks.

I appreciate any and all tips. I've heard of the potential for cracks at the back due to the constant pounding. I've been gathering spare parts as I find them, including 9mm (in case I want to dabble). I have a complete bolt/rods/springs assembly I can swap if the gun come with the wrong one. I noticed the gun has the re-enforced rear sight and the barrel has the flats for easier removal. The rear sight was probably armory upgraded at some point, maybe the barrel too, I have no idea.

I like finding parts in the original Guide Lamp, Anderson, Indiana packaging!

John

A couple of neat pics I have:

Recovering soldier getting Guide Lamp tour

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/speartech/M3%20info%20MCHS%202-7-2018%2013.jpg

The LAST Guide Lamp Grease Gun produced being packaged for shipment:

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/speartech/M3%20info%20MCHS%202-7-2018%207.jpg

I have heard of the communication issues from several sources.

I believe they have many problems going on now, but I don't know details, only what I hear.

He tried to rob me. I went from March to December with zero progress on the gun. Then my new friend dropped in and now I will have the gun.

Part of the long time was due to my lack of knowledge on Form 3 transfer times. When I went over a bunch of this my my receiving Class 3 dealer, he informed me that Form 3 transfer times are happening fairly quickly now, and this sounded like a scam to him.

I went along for most of the time thinking the first half of the transfer took months. After my dealer told me of the short times, THEN I started to panic a little.

John