my new mp40 received at dealer today/ questions

mp40 showed up...function was flawless..all my mags worked in the gun....S&B 115 grain and winchester 124 grain all worked...no ammo failures

my tube is more rusty than advertised...pics of how it looks were avoided...not overly happy about this, but for what i paid i really cant complain...inside the tube the back 2-3" also has some rust...i spent some time on the gun with oil and fine steel wool...knocked the rust down quite a bit....dissembled the whole lower and also got all the rust out of it...i would guess it was never oiled and kept in a high humidity location...the lower after some clean up looks really nice...the tube is hopeless..its going to look a bit ugly forever....deciding on whether to refinish the tube?

the mag well has been so sanded down you can barely make out an eagle mark...no serial #

the barrel is just odd...no markings, but it shows age....rifling is flawless...i believe its a repro of something else

look at the end of the barrel...the threads show...the muzzle nut is able to thread on too far and does not click on the metal tab meant to hold it on...also its missing the pin for the sights

the upper and lower rock approx 1/4"+ on each other....i didnt believe this to be normal...is it? its just odd if it is...you can see wear where on the receiver where the lower locking part fits into it....i have a video of it...i need to know if i need to send this in for a fix or normal?

butt stock loose...i specifically asked the seller if it was loose...he said not at all...its 3/4-1" of play....he lied

im happy enough w/ my purchase...i got it for a song....im willing to put some $$ into it if needed....ive got 2 original barrels coming and plan to swap barrels to a correct MP40 barrel..

ROF i thought was low....im planning on replacing the springs...see if that speeds it up a bit.....

any advice or opinions welcome....im not sure if i need a repair or should refinish it....

thanks

m3UwLQ8.jpg

CRTkkAA.jpg

FDuEd1g.jpg

0aGJJJI.jpg

Snjy0Da.jpg

GvKhqbB.jpg

Olmuhdn.jpg

CkNmUWk.jpg

IyiA1yl.jpg

r6YeN87.jpg

wDa5w9Q.jpg

xptAhEB.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Could try soaking the rusty parts in kerosene overnight and see how well it cleans up before getting it refinished. I would agree and replace the barrel as it currently is with the barrel nut it looks very weird. Id take a good look again at the cocking nob and how well it is being held in place possibly before it flies off on you if the overall condition isnt where you thought it was. The buttstock being upside down is still funny looking. Its got some work, but nothing really huge or effecting function.

what part of the stock is upside down?

cocking knob? you mean safety? its on good...bolt looks like a brand new bolt...flawless

my big question===should the upper/lower rock on each other? or should the upper/lower be tight???....this is my biggest concern...if i send it in to be fixed (if it needs it) ill get the tube refinished...the rest of the gun is good....refinished tube and a new/original barrel and im happy with its appearance

Edited by huggytree

Magazines: The one on the right is for a Belgian Vigneron SMG, IMA sells them. They fit and work in an MP40, but the original mag loaders won't work, but you can alter the mags to work with the loader. (I don't recall exactly how)

I was always under the impression these mags do not fit in the MP40 mag well without a lot of grinding.

The spring loaded stud with the knurled knob that indexes in the slot on the bottom of the receiver is flat sided. Over time with shooing vibration, handling, disassembly and reassembly, loose fit of the stud in its fitting, and other factors, the fit of the stud into the slot degrades. Even if the fit of the stud into the slot from the day of manufacture was perfect, it will not remain so and the receiver will have some rotational slop. If I recall correctly, the gun has a repro receiver tube so the accuracy of the fit will not have been spot on. It is difficult to tell from the videos exactly how loose it is, but in any case it an be repaired.

The stock lock is badly deteriorated. I have improved several stock but parts are no longer available that can be considered close to NOS. Mixing and matching the parts can help. The system does not lend itself to easy repair due to the hardness of the alloy and the specific design of the interlocking lugs and cutaways. What shows in the video is clearly excessive and swapping parts is the place to start in hopes that it can be significantlyreduced.

The butt plate can be rotated 180 degrees by punching out the buttplate hinge pins and flipping it over and reassembling the pins. No biggie.

The dimensions of the barrel from breech to muzzle preclude repros made tom other SMG barrels but starting from stock barrel blank and the barrel could have been reproed with extra threaded length at the muzzle for some reason. The controlling distance for the length of the barrel from the barrel nut to the rear of the sight mount is the resting bar. From the pics, the resting bar looks correct length unless it was shortened and recontoured at the nut end where it flattens to fit under the edge of the nut. The front sight mount is a cylinder and so fits onto the cylindrical part of the barrel before it starts to taper and is soldered into place. The front sight mount cross pin hole has been enlarged but what is happening indie the hole is not shown. The sight mount needs to come off, the sight and barrel inspected to see why there is extra threaded length and work from there. Resting bar appears to be repro.

Muzzle nut retaining spring needs to be made and the cross pin issue resolved.

Looks like a few of the retaining crosspins need replacement.

There are other issues evident in the pics.

Finish is not original so refinish is not controversial. Lots to be done that's worth doing. FWIW

• Upvote 2

Told you not to worry about those mag springs. Enjoy my friend!

Mike Hammer

PM sent to Bob- Black river....id like to get the issues fixed...worth fixing and i expected some issues anyways...you dont buy a flawless $11,750 MP40....you pay $11,750 because you know youll need to fix things

thanks for all the opinions

I would guess MAYBE its not completely locked. Pull down on the take-down knob and twist it to release the upper. Turn it to lock while twisting the upper on the lower until it (hopefully) locks up.

it locks up and wont come out...it just has slop....more than i believe should be correct...i own a mac 10 and i know the upper is a bit sloppy to the lower...but in this mp40 it just doesnt feel right at all...to the point where i was not going to shoot it....but i couldnt help myself...of course i shot it.....

i just find it odd that the upper isnt egged a bit...the square slot looks good to me...and the lower part also looks minty and not worn....

i can deal with the loose stock if thats all that was wrong.....but as it has a list of issues i think its best for a rehab and it will only help future resale some day for my kids...not many people want a floppy/ rusted mp40 at any price....

Told you not to worry about those mag springs. Enjoy my friend!

Mike Hammer

i actually did have 2 mag issues...you could tell when you loaded them that the springs were very weak...they jammed on the last 1-2 rounds in each of them....the 2 i replaced worked 100%....so i did swap new springs into the 2 that had issues......but i agree with you----dont fix them until they need it....ive got 11 more Wolff mag springs and 10 more mags coming...so which ever need it need it....

shocked all the mags functioned over all....no issues like ive read about w/ some being too large to fit or some not working....i have every manufacturer represented in the 7 mags i shot....every vintage too.....

the gun is not perfect, but it shoots perfect.....1 thing going for it!

part on the lower that goes into the upper wiggles a bit in the lower...not a lot, but id say 1/16...add that to a worn slot in the upper and youd get 1/4-3/8 movement side to side twisting....i would assume if left alone the condition would only get worse as a faster rate...

ive got 2 original barrels coming from Floke in early March.....ive talked w/ 2 gunsmiths today that work on mp40's...im told the 1/8-1/4 slop on receivers is normal...ill have to measure mine...

i jammed a piece of metal into that sloppy bushing and firmed it up...its just a temp test to see if the upper and lower are now tighter because of it....its not meant to be a permanent fix, just a test

found out hot dip bluing is hard to find...none of the gunsmiths offered it.....id like the tube to match the rest of the gun when refinished

i dont like the stock slop...but for now i can accept it...

If Bob will accept my gun ill send it to him gladly...otherwise ill just keep it as is for now

heres a pic i found of my barrel from the seller---front sight block is not soldered on....this is why the threads are showing?

AZMc9XA.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Huggy all that stuff is fixable back in the day Turnbull did my lower finish stock and lower tighten he does that no more it was a one time friend deal. But stock can be done lower upper can be done and barrel fix. and even blue if you want to lay out another grand or so that can be done. try Bob Landies at Ohio Ord if B.M. won't have the time. Make it right the way it should be don't settle for bull crap MP-40. And when better turns up you can sell a decent MP-40 to somebody and make back the bucks.AND not be JACK AROUND GUN SELLER. But a guy who made it right.

You don't want to know my thoughts if I got that in box 12 grand or not,Colt21ARon

ive been given Ohio Ordnance by another also....i will contact them today.....i planned on $1k in repairs from the start....i knew it would have issues.....i didnt know the rotational issue existed, but i did specifically ask about the stock being floppy and was lied to....i knew it had a replacement barrel and i had planned on making it correct from the start(ive got 2 barrels coming)...i knew there was some rust, just not to the extent it has...i got pics but that area was avoided as i dont see how 20 pics wouldnt show it somewhere...so once again some slight of hand by the seller........i knew what i was buying....i knew ''odds'' were id have to put $1k into it+...good news is ill have a refinished/correct gun when done and worth far more than i have into it.....im not angry like i was with Spiwak......would i buy from them again? nope....i gladly accept this gun as it is....when paying $4-5k under market value can you really complain?

ive got 6 months to get it repaired while i wait for my stamp..

Thanks for all the advice