Bridgeport Thompson M1

I am writing this to attempt to see if anyone can help me with assessing a Bridgeport CT thompson M1 that I recently purchased. Class three fully transferable and have the original 1968 amnesty form registering it. Has nine "nick cuts" in the lower stock from the war, presumably kills. This also listed in original paperwork under addditional description. This was in storage and I bought from another Sheriff I work with after his Father-in-Law passed away a few years ago. Has only a four digit serial no ( #62XX) that matches upper and lower. All parts are original as well. Beautiful weapon, and have fielded a bunch of offers to buy it, but really want to see if anyone would really know its value, or a resource to research the weapon. Any information deeply appreciated.

Let me be the first to ask. Have you got any photos? Based on the serial number your M1 would have been in the first week of production. Does it have paddle selectors? A bright bolt? Matching upper/lower is definitely a plus. I recently purchased two M1s without any real outstanding features for 15k or less. I'd start from there.

Muddy Moose, welcome to the board, you will find tons of information and knowledge, along with lots of bull shit here. Now,

Why would you want to get rid of that gun?! You have a very desirable firearm there. Hang on to it unless you are very old and have nobody to pass it on to. If you do get rid of it, for God's sake do not sale it to a dealer! Make sure it would go to a very nice collector. Somebody who would appreciate the gun for what it is and not use it for the greed factor.

Ok, I'm down.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/soapbox.gif

Mike,

I kept waiting for the line ".........someone like Me !!!"

All kidding aside, keep it if you can. You know the history and have a very collectable weapon with a very low serial number. Rolland is definitely in the ballpark with the 15k price.

Welcome aboard and by all means post some photos if you can.

Chuck

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. This does have a shiny, slick bolt, as well as paddle selectors. Lyman L sight rear and seems that even the wood pieces all have faint 8's stamped into them. as well as 's'. I believe that this weapon is basically in original config. As far as my possibly having to sell it, the only way that I even have a MG license here in my wonderful state of Massachusetts is due to my being the chief firearms instructor for my Sheriffs Dept. for the past seven years, and with all the bullshit and politics lately, I am thinking of walking away from the program, and Armory that I set up and dearly applied myself to. Unfortunately doing so would make a renewal of my license probably impossible, and I have to face that. I still maintain the rank of Sergeant and have the chems/munitions/less-lethal programs and am working K9 unit. So being busy and not training 400 plus staff a year isn'y going to break my heart that much. I will get some digitals taken to try to post, this really is something to see, especially the old, somewhat smooothed knife cuts into the stock from the war. Thanks again guys, will post this weapon if it does become avail.

-Mike

Would love to see the gun.

And YES, Chuck, if it was priced in my range (cheap) I would add it to my safe and for show and tell. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I always like to add the WWII and PD guns.