"paint?" On Usmc Belt With Mag Pouch?

I was checking out a US marked waist belt the other day, it came with a 3 cell, 30 round mag pouch. The adjusting clips (I have no idea what these are actually called but they are the thin metal bands that wrap all the way round the belt and hold the doubled over section taught) seemed to be painted black, the coating is chipping off. I am wondering if this thing is original or a late model copy. I have a guenuine (I know it's history but I won't get into it) WWII issue belt with canteen that I've had since I was a kid, the same adjusting clips on my original are blued and there are other small differences.

The seller is trying to pass this belt as an original issue Thompson set up from WWII, I'm not interested in buying it but the differences between this belt and mine peaked my curiousity. The mag pouch I have no clue, it seems no different than any other I've seen. Both the belt and the pouch are in outstanding condition.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks for any input.

JDG: What are the markings on the mag pouch? There are quite a few reproductions on the market right now, some of them are very good.

Mike Hammer http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

i have had 1940 thru 1944 date,some blue,some o.d.paint and some black.......i do not think there is some hard rule on this,also had rusco,yale,and some henright company or something,was hard to make out the ink stamp after 60 year's...........

i have not seen the replica's out there.all i ever had was the original's........

and yep i have a complete rig.unissued....heck everythompson guy should have one of those.its part of the "whole package"

and if you own a military you better.....wink!!

good luck with your deal.....take care,ron

Mike,

The pouch didn't have any markings on it at all, no date or manufacturer. The belt said "Yale" but I couldn't read what was underneath it though I suspect it was the year.

Colt21a, I will check these against the set I bought from you as a comparision.