Don't know if this is the right spot to post this or not, but here goes: As you know, there are various "High Capacity Mag Ban" proposals from Democratic presidential candidates and others. Would these carve out NFA mags, such as 20, 30, 50 & 100 round Thompson mags, or would they be treated the same as AR-15 mags? Some of the tougher proposals go beyond just banning new production, but require them to be surrendered, which would leave us with some inoperable Thompsons.

if they adopt the same rules here in Canada all mags have to be pinned at 5 rounds, the 50 and 100 round Thompson drums they put a pop rivet in the channel, you can put 50 in the drum but after 5 no more can feed past the rivet, 30 round mags we pin in the first hole, I believe it is then 3 rounds but that's how we do it.

Edited by laurencen

In 1989, Calif banned the importation, sale, etc. of any magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds. However those already in the state could be kept by the owner until death (i.e. they couldn't be sold, traded, willed, to any other Calif resident). MG links could be connected only to a max of 10.

Then Proposition 63 was passed. It added "possession" to the list of forbidden verbs. Although there were 10-rd magazines for the AR, Thompson, M1 carbine, etc made during the nationwide "AW/mag ban", others were not (e.g. the BAR, Reising, etc.) So STEN mags had to be permanently altered to take only 10 rounds or surrendered to L.E. or destroyed in a manner determined by the State. Some read the law to mean "Once a 30-rd, always a 30-rd", so even welding a denial bar wasn't good enough. All STEN mags must die. But you can still enjoy your expensive British-made paperweight/nutcracker.

Given that Calif is held up as the Gold Standard for a gun control utopia, expect that any Democrat promoting "reasonable gun safety legislation" will seek likewise.

Of course in CA, mags of any capacity used in a weapon with a pistol-grip can't be "removeable" making pracital use of a Thompson here a moot point....Phil

True, but the BAR, STEN, and M1 & M2 carbines (w/o bayo lug) are all free of that offending feature, yet their owners are still in a bind.

• Upvote 1

odds are any ban would be future sales and grandfathering old mags.

id be surprised if they confiscate 20,000,000 ar-15 mags

if you own private land i doubt they will come to get you when you shoot

they will be arresting millions of gun owners who wont comply

i would not want to be the police officer knocking on doors to take the mags or ar-15s back

They can't take care of a couple hundred thousand unarmed border Jumpers.And we are supposed to be worried about bans and door to door.A few shootouts here and there and its all a cluster fwuck. They can't even control Chicahoe!

And somehow overnight they will control tens of Millions of gun owners.And get their stuff controlled.Ten hill billys with Bolt actions will turn off the power grid, And mess up the fuel and food chain. See how that works out.

How did Iraq the Nam, and Afghanistan work out for us? Enjoy what you do and have fun.

Alien saviors will be here soon....ya know the ones who built the pyramids to square it all away. Or the Airport protesters.

Ron

• Upvote 2

odds are any ban would be future sales and grandfathering old mags.

id be surprised if they confiscate 20,000,000 ar-15 mags

if you own private land i doubt they will come to get you when you shoot

they will be arresting millions of gun owners who wont comply

i would not want to be the police officer knocking on doors to take the mags or ar-15s back

"Take Back" implies prior ownership

please don't use these terms

They can't take care of a couple hundred thousand unarmed border Jumpers.And we are supposed to be worried about bans and door to door.A few shootouts here and there and its all a cluster fwuck. They can't even control Chicahoe!

And somehow overnight they will control tens of Millions of gun owners.And get their stuff controlled.Ten hill billys with Bolt actions will turn off the power grid, And mess up the fuel and food chain. See how that works out.

How did Iraq the Nam, and Afghanistan work out for us? Enjoy what you do and have fun.

Alien saviors will be here soon....ya know the ones who built the pyramids to square it all away. Or the Airport protesters.

Ron

I like your style, Sir.

One poster here ‘hates it’ when threads like this are put up. Others say the future is unknown so why bother. Don’t worry, be happy. I started a similar thread a few days ago (Future NFA mag ban), wondering if the NFA community should somehow collectively make our concerns heard. I really think the political and cultural climate is ripe for at least a mag ban. One can hope for grandfathering, but look what was done with bump stocks? Imagine tasking ATF with building a registration scheme for pre-Jan 1, 2020 mags, belts, drums, etc. Even if mags were grandfathered, they would certainly be nontransferable: you can keep yours, but once you pass on, mags must be destroyed.

Needless to say, the NFA MG market will implode. Those with ample private land may keep shooting, but most of us who go to ranges won’t risk an encounter with LE in the next stall. Will make for lame Knob Creek or Big Sandy shoots. My point is, we can’t be sanguine or put our heads in the sand.

Many will probably be stashed away with unregistered FA items! :ph34r:

You are probably right but it is the same line of thinking people use when the talk about a total gun ban saying "they will never get my guns I will hide them or bury them". That's all well and good but the only use you will have for that gun then is to shoot yourself with it. I want the freedom to enjoy the firearms and magazines I have, not have them hidden and afraid to let them see the light of day.

….….so, the fight will be in the Fed/Congress....Time is now to flood your representatives with emails & calls......The President tonight in New Hampshire stressed the mental status of perps , and returning back to pre-1960s treatment of flakie nuts out there, and placing them in institutions, and definitely getting them marked for dis-approval for gun purchases.

…...A lot of the so called systems for marking idiots so they are not approved for gun buying, need to be re-vitalized, such as the Military services turning over to ATF the names of jerk-offs who are dis-honorably discharged; they are banned from buying guns. (But look at last yr, when a dishonorably discharged killer, was approved for gun buy by ATF, and killed a congregation in a Texas Church)…..Shortly after, the Pentagon rapidly gave to the ATF over 2,000 names they should have already turned over to them....The system failed then, and innocent folks died...…

…..What about when a felon is turned down by ATF for a gun buy, why is not the Police waiting for him at his residence for arrest for trying to break the law???...………….Around Ft.Knox here, I know guys who are receiving over 50%, and even 100% compensation for PTSD, who are supposed to be on the no gun-buy list, who are considered wacked out, buying guns galore!.....(I know some of these guys play crazy for the VA, but you can't have it both ways)….System got to be fixed...…….So many of the systems need fixing, before they pass anymore laws, or attempt to take my guns away. :angry2:

If Congress passes a restrictive gun bill, basically anything beyond universal background checks, and if the President signs it (neither of which are all that likely despite the clamor) the first thing that will happen is that the attorneys general of at least a third of the states will sue to have it overturned. This will launch a legal battle in several, if not every Federal District Court. At least one of those courts will issue an injunction putting the law on hold. Whichever way each of those judges decide, the losers will file an appeal. The Appellate Courts will eventually rule, some one way some the other. Given the language of Heller and that they are bound by precedent most will probably side with gun owners. It will take years for that mess to even reach the Supreme Court because they are unlikely to act until all the lower courts have weighed in. How the SC decides is always a crapshoot. The present makeup of the Court probably favors gun owners but the future...?

Around Ft.Knox here, I know guys who are receiving over 50%, and even 100% compensation for PTSD, who are supposed to be on the no gun-buy list, who are considered wacked out, buying guns galore!.....(I know some of these guys play crazy for the VA, but you can't have it both ways)

Not entirely sure about this as one does not equal the other and I am sure there is more to this statement, but it comes off in a bad light. Simply put VA disability for PTSD does not equal no guns.

If Congress passes a restrictive gun bill, basically anything beyond universal background checks, and if the President signs it (neither of which are all that likely despite the clamor) the first thing that will happen is that the attorneys general of at least a third of the states will sue to have it overturned. This will launch a legal battle in several, if not every Federal District Court. At least one of those courts will issue an injunction putting the law on hold. Whichever way each of those judges decide, the losers will file an appeal. The Appellate Courts will eventually rule, some one way some the other. Given the language of Heller and that they are bound by precedent most will probably side with gun owners. It will take years for that mess to even reach the Supreme Court because they are unlikely to act until all the lower courts have weighed in. How the SC decides is always a crapshoot. The present makeup of the Court probably favors gun owners but the future...?

Absolutely want you to be right.

Even better: No ban bills passed.

But, a ban on new +10 rd mag sales did exist for ten years.

The words "or transfer"(of existing magazines) were reportedly in the original 94 ban, but were removed to get passage.

Hoping for for one or more SC Justice appointments in the next 16 months.

Edited by mnshooter