MP-40 Ejector

Hey Guys,

My FFL received my MK II Sten today so I took the opportunity to shoot the MP-40 at the same time I checked out the Sten. While cleaning the MP-40 I noticed some wear on the right side of the ejector, I guess the bolt is rubbing against it as it cycles. If it continues to do this I could see it fail at some point. I do not remember seeing this before but it could be easily overlooked. Is this something common? I guess my plan is to have a extra ejector and change it out when this one breaks of when I think failure is eminent. I wish I would have taken pictures.

That said does anybody have a ejector for sale. I would rather buy from somebody on the board than GunBroker or Ebay.

Cheers,

Tommy

Ejectors very, very rarely fail, if ever. Main failure with MP40s is the loosening of the sliding safety cocking handle on the bolt. If the rivet or previous fix loosens up do not shoot it as the next time it might fly off and disappear. Extractors wear at the claw or take a set an don't positively grip the rim. Firing pins can bend and eventually break. Muzle nut spring can break, but his is also rare. Barrels can be ringed by squib rounds, so be very careful of the ammo you use. Sears and sear catch on the bolt can wear and fail to grab the bolt when trigger is released. Not a lot goes wrong with the MP40s……FWIW

I have been shooting a MP40 for over thirty years where the bolt rubs ever so slightly on the ejector, hasn't broken yet.

One other thing to look for in addition to the squib round damage Bob mentioned is internal wear caused by blanks. Often reenactors equate loud blanks as good blanks which is not necessarily the case. Below are some photos showing the damage done to a Thompson barrel through the use of hot blanks.

Barrel damage 3.jpg

Barrel damage 1.jpg

Barrel damage 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The bolt tends to wear one side of the ejector on some MP-40s only up to a point, and then no further, and never far enough for the ejector to fail. Wiggle the bolt handle up and down with the bolt forward. You can see how much the bolt can twist in the receiver, which is what causes the wear. The amount of movement isn't usually much.