MG08/15 Sideplate on 1910 Maxim?

Hello,

I know MG08 side plates are routinely used to build 1910 Maxims, but what about an MG08/15 side plate? I may be looking at a 1910 Maxim that was built on an 08/15 side plate. It was stated the Maxim parts kit was modified to fit the 08/15 plate (as the 08/15 side plate is smaller), the plate was not modified to fit the kit. Anyone ever see a 1910 Maxim built like this?

As the only person who has received an ATF/NFA approval letter, on request, to convert registered MG08 sideplates to build 1910 Maxims, I also asked about using 08/15 registered sideplates. The head of Firearms Tech Branch at the time, Ed Owen, said that the 08/15 sideplate is only half the length of the 1910 Maxim sideplate and that adding 50% or more to it more would constitute manufacturing a "new" machine gun. This was in the early 1990s, so the new MG would be a post-May sample. I did not get this in writing as it was a phone call, but Owen was the father of the 80% rule. His view was that increasing the size of a registered component, and he did not elaborate on what he meant by "size", by more than 20% would be considered manufacturing a "new" machine gun. From Owen's bit of seat-of-the-pants methodology sprung the 80% rule concerning the extent of manufacture of a receiver that would cross the line into a controlled receiver.
One could weld an extension onto the trunnion of a 1910 and fit the half length 08/15 to it so as to avoid altering the plate illegally. This might be a work around the prohibition in the case of this 1910. Send me a picture of the gun as I'd like to see what was done.
I know a number of the builders of 1910s who used 08/15 sideplates despite the prohibition but just added metal or made a new plate and stamped the 08/15 number on it. The 08/15 numbers are unique so easy to tell.
Prior to ATF changing the 08 and 08/15 designated controlled plate to the right plate, the legal conversion needed to be the actual MG08 sideplate to be fully within the law.
Let your conscience be your guide. FWIW
Edited by BRMCII
  • Upvote 1