Value of my Guidelamp M3? Best place to advertise?

Hello all,

I have a fully functional Guidelamp M3, with an overall nice looking finish that has a couple of minor wear spots along the arc of the charging lever. It may have been a re-Parkerize, but I'm not certain. It's legally own owned and transferrable on a Form 4. I'm interested in getting an idea of its value and where I can advertise it.

Thanks for any help.

M3 right side.bmp

Popular places to list:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/?db=nfafirearms&category=All+Items+in+this+Category&query=category&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi

GunBroker.com is a popular auction site. A recent listing of a similar gun from a seller with a large number of completed auctions with good feedback has failed to get any bids at a no reserve starting price of $16,000. See http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=437981846.

Due to the large number of fraudulent listings and the high value of these items, be prepared for buyers that are cautious about getting in to a transaction.

Edited by Shooter

Looks like it's been reparked. Not a big deal. The cocking handle scrape is present on 80% of the guns I've seen so that's not an issue IMO. I sold one last year in that condition for 16K on gunbroker. I'd use sturmgewehr to list it since the audience is pretty much the same as subguns. They are not quick sellers since the market is advanced collectors for the most part. Your buyer will be at least 45 years old and more likely 50's+. If you want to sell it quickly 12K will do it. If you want to wait months think about 16k. That's been my experience, hope that helps.

IMO C&R Greaseguns are on the verge of appreciating rapidly, perhaps even faster than Thompsons. I think a conservative value target would be $20,000 within five years.

If you don't need to sell, it would pay to hang on to it for a while longer. If you need to sell, consider selling to a reputable dealer (although you'll get less than full value) and avoid all the uncertainties.

• 11 months later...

Looks like it's been reparked. Not a big deal. The cocking handle scrape is present on 80% of the guns I've seen so that's not an issue IMO. I sold one last year in that condition for 16K on gunbroker. I'd use sturmgewehr to list it since the audience is pretty much the same as subguns. They are not quick sellers since the market is advanced collectors for the most part. Your buyer will be at least 45 years old and more likely 50's+. If you want to sell it quickly 12K will do it. If you want to wait months think about 16k. That's been my experience, hope that helps.

What are you saying that only "old guys" have Grease Guns??? I just bought mine in April and I'm 29 lol

Got Uzi,

I was saying that, buy you are clearly ahead of your time! Glad to know younger people are interested in other things besides HK's, M16's, and MACS......and of course Uzi's. Not that there is anything wrong with any of those, but the history on that stuff is potentially "in the making" sort of. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

The PD I used to work for had one that they acquired from Interordco back in 1963. It had British proofs and about 85% black paint. The local dealer who got it from them circa 1988/89 - he traded them 3 Mossberg shotguns and a stainless Mini 14 that wouldn't hold zero at 100 yards :( The dealer promptly took it to a local hack who parkerized it :(

At any rate, prior to the housing bubble bursting, M3's were bring $20k just like USGI M1A1 Thompsons. Doesn't seem as many of them out there, but I would say the same price as a USGI M1A1.

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

I saw one today that was bought from InterArms in 1964 for $29.50. One owner. Has black paint and British mag release modification. Unfortunately, the owner put the self sticking camouflage tape on it and it doesn't really want to come off. How to take that off without removing the paint is an interesting question. The 1964 dated form 5 was interesting. Much less information than we fill out now.

I really got lucky when I bought mine this year. It was a registered DEWAT (still deactivated when I bought it) I paid $9,000 for a paperweight that wouldn't even work but was so glad that I did. My dealer/manufacture and I got it back up and running now. I'm going to replace the magazine loop (original one was cut off leaving 2 "tits" on the side of the magazine well) and I am up in the air about having it parkerized then repainting it black. Call me crazy but I think they look better black than parked.

I'm not surprised to hear about dealers doing that kind of stuff to local PD's. The more I'm involved with the Class 3 world and the more of the local LEO's I come in contact with the more stories I hear about dealers sticking it to PD's for transferable guns. I'm not saying that all of them are that way but there are more and more stories coming out about it, it now makes me understand how a few of them got where they are.

They definitely got it stuck to them. The chief was as complicit as the dealer. I told the chief what it was worth, but he didn't listen (similar poor decisions led to an "early retirement" for him. I collected and appreciated machine guns back then and was sickened by them getting way less than the gun was worth (and with no competitive bid - again, poor choices of the chief) and the originality of the gun being trashed subsequently. It would have been a conflict of interest for me to acquire it, so I didn't. Sucks to stand helplessly on the sidelines. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

I have a deal going that I can not discuss on an open forum right now due to conflict of interest but I have known of some departments who have taken less than the gun was worth or "picked who would purchase it" due to their reputation and they wanted to see the gun stay local due to its history. To be honest I don't see an issue with that but when dealers were, and probably still are, robbing PD's blind like that it gives those who are honest a bad name.

• 2 weeks later...