Photo

Question about what this document means regarding Transferee?

Ingram M6 Police Ordnance M6 SMG

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1031 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:46 PM

Double post

Edited by Got Uzi, 14 January 2021 - 08:47 PM.

#22 tom silver

tom silver

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

Well, thank you everyone for your insights on my question. I hope I did not create any hostility amongst you all. My M6 finally will get to my FFL SOT dealer on Monday. Fedex somehow F ed up the shipping and the Auction house sent it out by ground snail which I did not request (they stated I said that which was total BS). Now I will need to make sure that the postage goofs did not damage it during the shipment as many of them don't give a damn about customers boxes and they tend to abuse and toss them from depot to truck, and so on. It it's damaged, I will just ship it back and demand my dough back for it and move on. You know nothing is easy when you work with an auction house. So it will be what it will be and I hope on Monday to see a Ingram M6 in the same condition that it was represented on the auction site.  Again I am sorry if my question, created some negative reprocussions. Thanks for your comments and words of wisdom.   TS

#23 tom silver

tom silver

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

I feel compelled to put in my two cents even though others have offered good input.

Especially given the prices of machine guns, there is a lot of trust in others required to buy machine guns. The gun will be registered to other parties as the gun gets to you, the final/actual buyer. Those people have the ability to take advantage of their temporary possession of the gun. It doesn't happen a lot, but it can, and it does happen once in a while. Pick your local dealer carefully. Buy from a trustworthy source. Ideally you wouldn't have to pay for the gun until ATF had approved the transfer, so you know the gun exists and is not going to be transferred to anyone else after you paid. But the machine gun market with a very limited supply and plenty of demand lets sellers dictate the terms, so payment up front on trust is the norm.

As others noted, ATF registration is not about ownership, it is about legal possession. Who "owns" it is a function of who paid for it and who has the right to control its destiny. Often the legal owner and possessor are the same, but when an NFA gun is moving to a new owner they are not. Contracts can help here. Being confident that the parties you are doing business with are trustworthy also goes a long way.

One final suggestion. If you are thinking you like or are going to buy more machine guns that are also considered curios or relics (like an Ingram M6) you can eliminate having to use a local dealer buy getting a curio/relic FFL. The holder of a c&r ffl can get the gun direct from an out of state seller, like the auction house you bought the gun from. You still have to do a transfer form, still have to pay the transfer tax (unless the gun is deactivated) but you eliminate having to use a local dealer and trust that he or she is honest and will take care of your gun while they have it.

Yes I will apply for the Curio/Relic FFL. I do not want to trust that some gun store will be honorable when it comes to MGs. I will also be removing all 3 mags before I leave the store on Monday. I do trust the owners but not the ones working there. Thanks 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ingram M6, Police Ordnance M6, SMG