MP38/40 Sicherstrap

Edit: Apparently there was just one of these for sale on eBay and I bought it. Sorry about that! I'd have deleted this post but that's not possible.

German WW2 MP40 / MP38 Bolt Securing Safety Strap Black Or Brown

Edited by TSMGguy

The seller messaged me about color choice, saying that the had both black and brown available, including 20 in brown. I requested one in brown with no markings. The seller is also the maker and he very kindly made one up for me. It shipped less than 24 hours after the initial order. Hopefully he'll keep selling these.

These straps were a stop-gap measure to help prevent accidental discharges, issued for use pending the arrival of the then-new sliding bolt safeties, which began appearing in late 1941 and early '42. Original sicherstraps have been seen in both brown and black leather. They were locally produced to slightly differing designs and had no markings. Local commands were given drawings and descriptions and were responsible for producing their own straps. Remember that the German army of WWII was still mostly horse drawn, and units had their own ability to produce and repair items of tack and harness. These safety straps were too early to have had RBN numbers, and had no eagles or WaA stamps, either.

Edited by TSMGguy

This strap arrived. It's really nicely made. It lacks the buckle that some versions had, but it slips right over the front sight, fits perfectly, and works great. Shipping was super fast, too. I'll add a coat or two of neat's-foot oil to darken it down a little.

To me, a sicherstrap is mostly a display item. It's a little impractical and kinda gets in the way, but it's a great conversation starter.