Hazy With Legalities

ok, heres my problem. it might not make sense, but il try to explain. So my m1a1 is of new spec deactivation. therefore, certain inside parts are welded together/worn down, the bolt is prevented from moving back by two small blocks of solder/welded metal, firing pin in cut and the barrel is filled in.

now old spec if im correct is pretty similar, except more moving parts, so the bolt can be retracted and/or dry fired.

so my problem is, would it be legal to remove the small welded metal blocks so i have a moving bolt. even though the firing pin is in half and the barrel is filled. i dont see why i shouldnt be able to make mine partially old spec when they are allowed aswell as new spec.

if that made any sense. please help.

SgtMartin,

I am no expert on this issue you have brought up here. Please do not take what I say as legal advice for I am no lawyer. IMHO if the ATF had tightend down deacts with a "new spec"...that would tell me that they did not want guns deactivated in the "old spec". I would assume that to take a "new spec" deact and converting it to an "old spec" deact would be a no no. If if was ok to make current deacts "old spec" then why would they tighten things down with a "new spec". Makes me wonder if the old spec thompsons out there are "grandfathered" and if it is even possible to tell the difference between which gun should be new or old spec. Could be an enforcement problem like telling which pre ban semiautomatic assualt weapons had the "deadly features" before the ban. Hopefull one of the more knowledgeable members could be more helpful.

Damon