Losing Faith in Shippers - Part 2

Received this package into the shop today from USPS ... Amazingly, the rifle only had a scar on the thread protector ... I guess more amazingly, it was still in the package. Received another rifle the other day with boot prints on the box. That one was in a hard case inside the shipping box ... Thwarted them!

How the box looked off the truck.

post-260006-0-15174700-1628304214_thumb.jpg

Look at the thickness of the cardboard, the problem was caused by the light weight box the rifle was shipped in.

Agreed ... The shipper could have used a better box, and something besides brown paper to cushion the rifle. Every rifle we ship is in a hard case ... It just seems that every package we receive looks like it was in a buffalo stampede ... The "New Normal" I guess.

I noticed that the CMP and Remington (prior to bankruptcy) used FED/EX for their shipping .

Is FED/EX the best why to ship non NFA firearms???????

Or is one of the other better.

I will soon be shipping a pistol to a dealer. I am not a dealer.

Thanks Jim C

the shippers are using more and more "unskilled" labor, but boxes for stuff need to be packed well. bubble wrap and extra cardboard to pad sharp ends and bolt handles ( I remove bolts and wrap separately if I can ) . hard cases are good, but don't always fit guns . Foam, Bubble wrap and extra cardboard inside all help. I also will take an barreled action out of the stock and wrap separately to shorten boxes and make them less prone to damage. Styrofoam peanuts are TERRIBLE! heavy stuff quickly sifts to the out side and will quickly beat it's way out of a box.

If you think that's bad, you'll love this: I got in a transfer for a customer via FedEx a couple days ago (I am a dealer). The box was slightly crushed on one end and taped shut (it was a standard FedEx Express box. Luckily, my store manager took photos of the box before opening it, due to one end being crushed. When opened, we discovered that the contents (a new CZ 75) had been removed and two water bottles put in its place (to add insult to injury, one of the water bottles was used as a "spit" bottle for chew tobacco). Needless to say, we contacted the seller, the buyer and the ATF. Also, 8 months ago, we had 2K rounds of 9mm stollen from us in similar fashion (except the box was left empty). Until Covid, we have never had any issues like this and I have been in the business for years.

You ship common carrier you take your chances. I have sold and shipped several Thompsons and B A R'S In the last ten years and after my second double boxed gun arrived at sellers shop mutilated I switched from double box to $25 rifle cases I get at Wally World....Plano Pro Max (airline approved) and so far,so good. Twenty five bucks is really nothing compared to dealing USPS or Fedex claims

• 1 month later...