Bm 59 Receiver

rescuemedic

I need some help and advice. I have a BM59 kit in a+++ shape, TE 1 ME less than 1, good finish, and a curly, tiger stripped stock. but i need a receiver to build on.

I have not seen any BM59 receivers for sale, are they even out there? i have considered using a M1, but that means loads of milling, it may still be the way to go. on GB there is a PB M1 but it is kind of pricey, 500+.

Any ideas? should i just sell the parts and call it a day? i have a BM59 in a MK4 stock that i love, but this kit is one of those that is more of a M1 than what i would call a true BM59. so the amount of money i can justify spending is limited.

The kit came from Sarco, i ordered 3 kits, 1 of the barrels was 8+ on the TE and the other was bad also. this third is almost unused, so i called Dave and he let me pick out 1 complete rifle. good people at Sarco from my dealings. i don't yet have my mag and there is no rear site, but i am sure they will work that out.

I read the post about the Sarco build with all the pics, seems like it is above the metal working ability of this old cabinet maker. but i was just wanting to get some opinions and ideas.

Thank you.

chip

I need some help and advice. I have a BM59 kit in a+++ shape, TE 1 ME less than 1, good finish, and a curly, tiger stripped stock. but i need a receiver to build on.

I have not seen any BM59 receivers for sale, are they even out there? i have considered using a M1, but that means loads of milling, it may still be the way to go. on GB there is a PB M1 but it is kind of pricey, 500+.

Any ideas? should i just sell the parts and call it a day? i have a BM59 in a MK4 stock that i love, but this kit is one of those that is more of a M1 than what i would call a true BM59. so the amount of money i can justify spending is limited.

The kit came from Sarco, i ordered 3 kits, 1 of the barrels was 8+ on the TE and the other was bad also. this third is almost unused, so i called Dave and he let me pick out 1 complete rifle. good people at Sarco from my dealings. i don't yet have my mag and there is no rear site, but i am sure they will work that out.

I read the post about the Sarco build with all the pics, seems like it is above the metal working ability of this old cabinet maker. but i was just wanting to get some opinions and ideas.

Thank you.

chip

Pretty much there are no receivers out there that I know of, so your option is going to be,converting a M1 receiver.Yes, it is alot of work and not a inexpensive. Look to pay $400-500 to have a M1 receiver converted in to a BM59.Any in spec USGI receiver will work, I used a couple SA receivers ,just because that is what I had on hand.

The SARCO kits are for the E model ,which are basically M1 garands converted to use 20 rd mags and are 1/2 short on the barrel ,op rod,stock and rear handguard. Due to the E's being different from a standard BM59 you will not have the stock and acessories options you would have if you built a BM59 with the standard BM59 barrel,op rod and gas system.

For example your E would not fit and work in a folding stock with out modifications,or a Nigerian stock, or a standard BM59 stock would not work for that matter, the standard muzzle attachments would not work either,the good news is that Reese sells some modified for the garand that you could use on your E build.

I am not trying to talk you out of the build, I built up a E and a Nigerian, both converted from M1 receivers. I just want you to completely understand the differences of the E's from the other models.

I would not want you having spent $500 on a nice folding stock for your build to only find out in the ens that it will not work on your rifle .

If you want to see some pics of my conversions send me a email and I will pass along some pics .

By the way I would still like to see some pics of your Nigerian stock .

mikebaker1129@aol.com

• 4 weeks later...
The link to the pics worked for me !

Very nice work on that stock . How long did that take(stock) ?

The stocks don't take that long to do, it is just a matter of tools, vision and know how. but it is loads of fun. i have several more stocks available. these can be finished or sent out raw ( i really prefer to do the finishing myself) and can also be inlet for winter trigger. still making templates for the machine and other router stations. that is the only way to produce accurate and consistent stocks.

Today i am making my first hard maple E2 ( for the M14). the rough in blanks were made last week.

The MK4's i have are Reese blanks, so the stock is walnut and the grip is beech. takes a little know how to get those to match! the final fitting for each stock must be done by hand to get the best possible fit. when the Reese supply runs out i will start cutting those also.

I will try to post updates as things progress.

Chip